Lucas MO1 twin magneto

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Guys

It seems no matter what I start with there is going to be a fair bit of agro involved in making it run, so I have contacted both powerdyno in Germany and BT-H in the UK both of whom can supply (and have for A Rapides) a suitable unit for less than I have been quoted for a rebuilt from bits one if I supply a starting point, so I am seriously considering one of them.

I'll let you know how it turns out and thanks for all the input.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
It does you no good to know this, but modifying a magneto to serve as a spare for your Series A would be fairly straightforward. However, it probably would be priced out of range if done by anyone charging a reasonable hourly rate. The reason this is the case is "all" rotating armature magnetos have the same taper and one of only two base-to-armature heights. CW and CCW isn't anything fundamental to the physics of operation, although it does require either the proper points plate (if available) or making one's own using components from some magneto or distributor having the same sense of rotation.

Only vaguely related to your problem is a few days ago I visited the Wheels Through Time museum in North Carolina where Dale Walkser has assembled a pretty remarkable collection of rare early (and later) American motorcycles. One unusual c1914 V-twin motorcycle that he attributes to Oscar Hedstrom after he left the Indian factory (for reasons too long to type) uses two single magnetos connected to the engine with chains to give them the proper timing when individually firing the two cylinders. Not that your engine has room for such a setup even if you wanted to do the modification.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
A separate mag for each cylinder has been done many times on Vincent racers. I think there is one running at the drags/ sprints in England at this time. I built a separate ignition system for each cylinder on my Magnesium Monster drag bike back in the day, and later with English Thunder I built another point ignition system that had the separate cylinder firing qualities. The Barn Job and others went that direction, duel coils, points and so on. The reason is a high voltage spark can be obtained that is reliable needed to ignite the Nitro fuels . I forgot I think Matson has a separate unit he built as well , could be wrong, but I think years ago we talked about what I did, using off the shelf parts and a little ingenuity to build the Mag Monster one.

Good to hear you will soon have a spare for the A trek . I remember Smith telling me what he did as fare as spares and how he coped with the logistics to get them to him if needed, that's when he made the South America long haul trek.

Cheers------ Max

greg brillus

VOC Member
I know here in Australia, some of the ex speedway Vincent engines used two Lucas SR 1 magnetos, one in the normal spot, and one where the ATD cover is. Due to the type of magneto it is, an SR 1 is a far better mag than a K2F/ KVF, and not unlike the Scintilla, Fairbanks Morse, Joe Hunt Variety.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Max, on Monday, after I had pointed out significant technical errors in essentially every one of your numerous posts about indexing spark plugs, out of frustration I wrote that:

…based on various things you've written about ignition in this and other threads, I'm afraid we wouldn't find much to agree on with those technical issues, either.

… It's not just that many of your ad hoc arguments for particular details have been wrong, or that you blithely go forward without addressing errors when they are pointed out, often your arguments are not even self-consistent. It's as if you cut/paste sections of various technical writings that don't even necessarily apply, without noticing what you put in one post is contradicted by what was in a previous post.

Maybe these are OK techniques when trying to "win" an argument, but they are a waste of time and energy when trying to arrive at a correct understanding of something, such as whether or not indexing plugs affects h.p. Understanding something requires more than stringing a bunch of technical terms together. Mother Nature rewards understanding, she doesn't reward stringing words together.

However, you eventually grew tired of having your technical misunderstandings constantly pointed out and so you proposed to me that:

If you would agree to not respond to my posts, I will do the same and not respond to yours, we play like that one another doesn't exist.

I immediately agreed to your proposal and have not responded to any of your subsequent posts until now. However, even before the ink was dry you violated it, as you again have done here.

The problem this makes for me is either I bite my tongue and ignore the incorrect technical information you write, which some people could incorrectly infer I agree with you, or I have to respond. To be clear, I definitely do not want to respond to your many, many posts, because it is a waste of time and energy to correct the technical errors in a useful way (i.e. explaining why they are errors and not just saying "once again, you are wrong.").

Turning to the current thread, the OP asked for advice on how he can have a backup magneto for his Series A Rapide. A solution to his problem requires some practical way to supply spark from a spare magneto(s) to two cylinders. However, in your post you confusingly mixed together two magnetos, dual points/coil ignition systems, and dual plug heads. But, although not providing anything useful, you did manage to praise yourself: "…I built… I built a separate ignitions system… what I did, using off the shelf parts and a little ingenuity…"

Unfortunately, nothing you wrote either points the owner to a solution to his problem nor provides any useful insight into the issue he faces. In contrast to what you wrote, the subsequent post by Greg Brillus describes a functioning twin-magneto solution on someone else's machine along with enough details for the OP to decide if it might be the basis of a workable solution on his Series A engine. I urge you to read his post and use it as a model for future ones of your own.

If you had personally devised and a tested a workable solution to this problem, details of that solution would have added to the discussion in a useful way. However, stringing together words only because they are loosely related to the concept of ignition is at best of no help whatever.

vincenttwin

VOC Member
Robert , I would bet the dowels are screwed into the base on that BSA. Ebay one . , My A has two dowel pins screwed in and two bolts ,I am running a lucas mag with BTH Magic inside it

nkt267

VOC Member
The dowels on the bottom should screw into brass inserts cast into the casing.Sometines you find 5 in them,1 at each corner and 1 in the centre..John