Misc: Everything Else Lucas KVF 50

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I’m not the person to ask about what came on Lightenings, but my understanding is that they all came with KVF TT.
You can get decent performance out of the KVF. As for changing the end housing.... using the manual advance makes running the tach drive easier. The KVF TT came with a slack wire advance, but you could find an end housing (either slack wire or tight wire) that will fit the KVF 50. You will have to modify your KVF 50 cam ring. It will require a wider notch to allow it to rotate for advance/retard and another notch for the manual advance linkage. That all has to be done with great care. Retard too far and the carbon brush for the HT pickup will be off the end of the brass on the slip ring. That will cause arcing that will fry things in short order. I think you will have to search for a while to find a slack wire end housing for the KVF. There was one used on a Royal Enfield, but don’t recall which model. There is a fellow on Ebay that sells new “CNC” ones and claims they fit on a KVF, but they do not. The bearing bore, mounting shoulder and cam ring housing are also not concentric. All 3 are off in relation to each other.... at least the one that I bought was.

Back in the sixties a friend of mine was working in the drawing office of De Havilland's. He was drawing up the internal structure of an aircraft wing when the Minister of Aviation was making a visit. The Minister looked over his shoulder and said "What are the holes for?" My friend answered "They're lightening holes." "Really," said the Minister, "and how do they work?" For a moment my friend looked at him incredulously then replied " Well if lightning strikes the plane it goes right through the holes without harming the plane." The Minister seemed quite satisfied with this explanation.

vibrac

VOC Member
They havent got any cleverer or they would not be pushing Electric transport rather than Hydrogen

Cyborg

VOC Member
Back in the sixties a friend of mine was working in the drawing office of De Havilland's. He was drawing up the internal structure of an aircraft wing when the Minister of Aviation was making a visit. The Minister looked over his shoulder and said "What are the holes for?" My friend answered "They're lightening holes." "Really," said the Minister, "and how do they work?" For a moment my friend looked at him incredulously then replied " Well if lightning strikes the plane it goes right through the holes without harming the plane." The Minister seemed quite satisfied with this explanation.
As Vibrac says... things haven’t improved. Somehow we still allow the real turds to bob to the top.
I was on a airplane that was struck by lightning. Caused a rather loud bang and bright flash. The sort of thing you’d expect from a SAM. The weirdest part was the following silence from the captain. Guess he was busy.

Until I started on a quest to learn more about KVF TT’s, I never knew why the pickups are red. They are painted with red insulating varnish. Holders are repurposed cam follower spindles.
9376EF38-7E42-4E12-829D-1B4F0CA2B954.jpeg