Misc: Everything Else Lucas KVF 50

yuvijasti

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi,
Can any one advise which twin this Lucas KVF 50 would be used for and what is the difference from a KVF TT?
Thanks,
Yuvi

Attachments

• 4F78723F-E6F8-4E46-A3DA-BD524CC01BC3.jpeg
    4F78723F-E6F8-4E46-A3DA-BD524CC01BC3.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 23

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The KVF 50 would be found on any B or C twin up until the D when they switched to coil ignition. The KVF TT is quite different. The mag housing, end cover, and (usually) screw on points cover are totally different just for starters. There are internal differences as well.
The early KVF TT were magnesium. Later ones were aluminium. The mag body is slightly larger and similar to (except for the angle of #2 HT pickup) the K2FC. The safety gap screws may also be in different locations depending on rotation.
It is difficult to see the difference in size when comparing photos, but this is what it would look like if you wanted to install a KVF TT end housing on a KVF mag.
KVF TT also has HT pickups held on with screws instead of spring clips.

More info here https://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/threads/magneto-weights.12312/#post-114550
0EBBFB82-7F79-4286-836B-00C396811526.jpeg

Last edited:

yuvijasti

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for your inputs. Is the performance of a KVF 50 be similar to that of a KVF TT by installing the necessary end housing etc? In short we’re the KVF 50’s ever run on a factory Lightening?
Cheers

Cyborg

VOC Member
I’m not the person to ask about what came on Lightenings, but my understanding is that they all came with KVF TT.
You can get decent performance out of the KVF. As for changing the end housing.... using the manual advance makes running the tach drive easier. The KVF TT came with a slack wire advance, but you could find an end housing (either slack wire or tight wire) that will fit the KVF 50. You will have to modify your KVF 50 cam ring. It will require a wider notch to allow it to rotate for advance/retard and another notch for the manual advance linkage. That all has to be done with great care. Retard too far and the carbon brush for the HT pickup will be off the end of the brass on the slip ring. That will cause arcing that will fry things in short order. I think you will have to search for a while to find a slack wire end housing for the KVF. There was one used on a Royal Enfield, but don’t recall which model. There is a fellow on Ebay that sells new “CNC” ones and claims they fit on a KVF, but they do not. The bearing bore, mounting shoulder and cam ring housing are also not concentric. All 3 are off in relation to each other.... at least the one that I bought was.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyborg

VOC Member
By the way, what is it you are wanting to do? For the street, you are better off with the automatic advance and just using that mag as it is.... but then I don’t always follow my own advice.

yuvijasti

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
By the way, what is it you are wanting to do? For the street, you are better off with the automatic advance and just using that mag as it is.... but then I don’t always follow my own advice.
Hi,
Thanks for the interest, am building a C Shadow, D Prince and also have a Lightning project. When I say am building, it is some one building it for me as I am mechanically not sound to build a Vincent yet... it is a case of never had Vincent’s and now have a couple of projects that fell into my lap... also building a Grey Flash replica (am also looking for a Albion gear box). Just trying to learn as we move one project and bit at a time.

cheers,
Yuvi

Cyborg

VOC Member
For the Lightning project, you could have a replica KVF TT made from a converted K2FC, but it is a bit of a task. Once you find a slack wire end housing, modify the cam ring, you will have to deal with the angle of the #2 pickup assuming you want it to look right. To do that, you need to add metal and machine the housing. TIG welding will require demagnetizing first. More than one way to skin a cat, but welding would be preferred. The K2FC will likely be the wrong rotation, so safety gap screws will have to be relocated. Then you need to come up with a points cover. If anyone out there has one, I want it worse than you do. Not all of the KVF TT’s came with this style, but I would hazard a guess that most did. In order to get a KVF TT knockoff made, you’ll have to track down someone with the necessary information , parts, equipment, and who is probably not quite right in the head.
2414757F-81FF-4E91-94C2-F795C6B58CC1.jpeg

Chris Launders

VOC Member
You can see from comparing those pictures with a KVF that the body is a completely different casting, much "fuller" around the pickups area.