Misc: Ignition Lucas K1F magneto weak spark

morton90

Forum User
VOC Member
My Comet mag has a very weak spark at kick start speed, I have checked the magnet strength using a compass (test as described by Ken at Brightspark in an earlier post) and found it is poor. The bike has been stood since 1982 so no surprise really. Does anyone know who offers a re magnetising service in the Leeds/Yorkshire area. Thanks Andrew Morton

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've just had some magneto's re-magnetised by ARMOTO, they are just over the off the MI at Jct 29A, if you take it they will do it on the spot for £20, but give them a ring first to arrange it to make sure they will be there.
Chris.

morton90

Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Chris, I had them down to try but wasn’t sure if they would do just the re magnetising. That’s great will call them tomorrow and go down. Hope your latest project is going well, almost finished the comet, hopefully getting the mag done will let me fire it up.

Thanks Andrew

erik

VOC Member
Have you looked at the Points while the engine is running on tickover? Best to look at in dark conditions to see if there is some contact firing.If you see sparks then the condenser is past his best time of live.Erik

erik

VOC Member
Do you have the condenser mounted inside the rotor at the traditionel place or outside close to the Points?

morton90

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Eric
I have removed the original condenser from the rotor and fitted one of the Brightspark easy cap condensers. The spark is strong when I spin the mag with a drill but only just visible when I flick by hand or using the Kick start.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I have had a few magnetos, and some that have been freshly rebuilt, that put out a week spark at low rev's......... This at kicking speeds........the culprit ended up being the main armature had been machined over its length to "True up everything" this results in the armature having a smaller OD than an original one by say 10 or 20 thou........This will loose a lot of the magnetic build strength and the magneto becomes useless for starting.

erik

VOC Member
My experience with the easy cap condensers were not to my satisfaction.Firing Points were still visible until I changed the condenser . These Micro condensers seem to have not the same capacity than bigger ones which can mounted inside of the rotor.Erik

morton90

Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for sharing your experience Erik, I do also have a replacement capacitor to go in the rotor but thought I would try the Easy Cap. I am getting the body re - magnetised at Armoto this afternoon so will see how that works first. I will check the amount of arcing at the points when it is re assembled. Andrew