Misc: Ignition Lucas K1F magneto weak spark

morton90

Forum User
VOC Member
A £13/£16/$35 (I found different prices on line) Brightspark requires the armature to be removed when the first one is installed in order to snip the lead to the existing capacitor. After that, if the magneto is re-magnetized, factory-fresh functioning will be restored, at least until/if that capacitor fails. The advantage a Brightspark has if/when it does fail is it can be replaced on the side of the road with another of the £13/£16/$35 capacitors.

To install an internal capacitor, as was used by the factory, also requires the armature to be removed, but factory-fresh functioning also is restored if it is then re-magnetized. The disadvantage of an internal capacitor is it cannot be replaced on the side of the road. However, capacitors of the type on which I conducted extensive accelerated stress tests that showed they would last at least 50 years and 150,000 miles in actual use, at a cost of $2.70 for the necessary pair.

Something that costs £26/£32/$70 for it and a spare that can be replaced on the side of the road if/when it fails. Or something that costs $2.70 and that doesn't fail. The choice is yours.
Do you do the re- magnetising with the magneto fully assembled after any work has been done which required removal of the armature? I had always assumed they were done as stripped down bodies. Andrew

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I had always assumed they were done as stripped down bodies.
They have to be magnetized when fully assembled. The armature serves as a "keeper," and the magnetization suffers a permanent loss within a fraction of a second of it being removed. If the body is magnetized when disassembled the magnetization only achieves a smaller value than it would with the armature in place.

morton90

Forum User
VOC Member
They have to be magnetized when fully assembled. The armature serves as a "keeper," and the magnetization suffers a permanent loss within a fraction of a second of it being removed. If the body is magnetized when disassembled the magnetization only achieves a smaller value than it would with the armature in place.
Thanks for that, I will take the full Magneto next time I have need to remove the armature.