Lucas Brake Light Switch

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My abstruse profologies! I have checked two originals in their " LUCAS"boxes and not a sign of a back-plate. Nor was a back plate fitted to the 1956 Land Rover which had the same switch.However, I take your point about the salt. Must be the lousy climate over there!

timetraveller

VOC Member
I bought my first Vincent in 1957, a 'C' Rapide which was six or seven years old at the time. It did not have a backing plate to the original rear brake light switch. I also had several other twins over the years to the early sixties and none of the bikes which had original brake light switches ever had a backing plate. Certainly there was less salt on ther road then but the wiping action of the brass contacts seemed to keep everything working. If originality is important then a backing plate should not be fitted. For those who wish to use their bikes then perhaps a front brake switch, a la 'D', is a more useful item.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Just a thought, My MOT man told me you now need a stop light worked from the front and back brake !! Any body know if that is true ? Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
Ah! another person suffering from the fact that reading is not a skill included in MOT testers training, I had the same fun with no speedometer on my twenties Douglas.

Thank the cheif scrutineer that the MOT circus has stoped for pre 60 bikes

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
It did seem funny that he gave me a Pass, One of my bikes has a D type Front switch and the other has a back one like a C, The last MOT he did on my Special, He gave me an Advise Note, Exhaust too loud + an oil leak !! This from a shop that does H.D.s With open exhaust pipes !! Cheers Bill.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
On the brake lite switch . We have several on the shelf , a nos unit has a stiff paper backing with it . Should be easy to cut one out
Of suitable hard paper stock the shape of the rear opening . Sid .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rob H

VOC Member
Have been looking into this a little, this type of brake switch ran for many years, at least well into the sixties. The later ones also have spade type connections not screwposts. I have seen some with a small hole in the middle of the case, I believe these to be a later type also and are likely post vincent period manufacture. Quite often they have date codes.

interested to hear if any other members can substantiate this or have any other related info to add