Lucas Altette right in the ear anyone?????

1660bob

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All, allowing myself a very small break from building my Shadow the other day, i was watching the `50s film "The Dambusters". During a scene where Barnes Wallis has managed to blag a Wellington bomber to test his device.The shot is of him and the pilot side by side in the cockpit in the aircraft.
Right between their heads, at ear height and only inches away, is clearly mounted a Lucas WD spec Altette type horn.( I have read somewhere that these were used on Canberra bombers as an undercarriage(up/not up/down?) warning, so I suppose it had a similar function in the "Welly").
Painfully close to the ear though-to pierce the din of the engines no doubt. Hardly much weight saving consideration either!! Any ex-RAF out there to tell us more? Bob.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I guess they could have mounted the Altette under the nose of the fuselage to warn any passing pedestrians...:)

ossie

VOC Member
you mean you can hear yours when you use it on the move my boys parrot makes more noise.
and I always forget to put the visor on my helmet up when I hurl obscenities at an offender to my space on the road etc.
OSSIE

john998

VOC Member
Hello, I think the horn was activated if the throttle was moved to idle and the undercharge was not locked down.
Too many pilots manged to land with the under cart up. John.

Alan J

VOC Member
My 6 volt horn on 12 volts makes plenty of decibels!!-I know it is frowned upon-but it has lasted 30 years!!