LUCAS / ALTETTE Horn bits needed..

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On the Altettes that I have the tone adjusting screw is underneath the domed nut on the front of the horn. The tone screw is locked by a round flat nut that needs an adapted box spanner (box spanner with 2 tangs on it) to undo it, once the lock nut has been loosened then the centre adjusting screw can be got out. Mine won't!!!!!!:mad::mad:
If your horn is 12Volt it is most likely off a car or jeep etc.
http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7822&title=p1020366&cat=777
have posted a pic of the horn...John
Yours is probably rusted in, if a little greasing had been done, it would not have been a problem.

Ducdude

VOC Member
Thanks All...

I will have another go at bringing the horn back to life once I get the gaskits here...I do not recal the adjusting screw being an issue but I will pay special attention once I get there and see to it that it is properly Unstuck

Cheers and thanks again..

Eric

nkt267

VOC Member
My Comet was laid up in a council concrete bike shed from 1959 to 1969 the whole thing was rust from top to bottom. When I took the tax disc out the holder crumbled to dust, but the glass is still good..John

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
You need a clearance armature to core of .010" to .012" which is acheived by the paper gaskets under the diaphragm.You have to do this by trial and error if yours is an early post-war model.There are quite a few official,and more non-official variations in design between 1946 and 1954.Google Lucas-Bolsover home pages for a bit of interesting reading.I have made my own coil-for memory about 72 turns of the correct guage of copper wire.Taff the Horns page is good reading,and he is a good Welshman!Nos da! F5AB/2A/7945