lub/oil pressure release

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
oil pressure

Upto yet you're all talking oil pressure. This means most have missed the point! with a motor with all rolling element bearings oil pressure is impossible to acheive, they all leak worse than seives. the best that can be achieved would be FLOW. That's what said bearings need to survive inside your motors. The vin pump is the worst part ,for my money, in the whole set-up, whoever passed it fit for production should be castrated with a blunt phillips screwdriver. Roy.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
I've made the same observation of the oil pump but the reaction is always that plenty of Vincents go many mile's without a problem. However , it was an old fashioned pump to use even back then. Personally , I think that if a gear or trochoidal pump could be designed to install in the stock position it would be a very worthwhile mod.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
It would certainly make life for the valve gear easier. My view is that Ducati use a gear pump on the Bevel twins which is a very similar architecture to the Vin. Ball & roller bottom end , gear cam drive etc. Now that engine is very durable with correct maintenance and withstands tuning very well.
Flames are still anticipated though !!

lindie

Non-VOC Member
did i read once somewhere mr grosset had a honda pump conversion in the cases somehow?

or is all murky in this little head of mine?

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Yes , he did a mod using a Honda 50 (I think) oil pump installed in the timing chest to feed the valve gear. Apart from delivery rate the main advantage was instant oil feed rather than the delayed feed to the top end on the original system. Details are in 40 Years on.

derek

VOC Member
lo/flow

Yes of course the return is from the scavenge side:
However talking of low flow rates there can't be a lot of flow through the 170 jet restricting oil to the all important heavily loaded cams (with little pressure), I know that a littlle extra comes down from the rocker gear. So, if so little pressure to the cams, it seems a lot too expect the oil to lubricate cam shaft bushes then force its way through the holes in the cam to lubricate the followers, especially on a twin with twice as much.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Yes , he did a mod using a Honda 50 (I think) oil pump installed in the timing chest to feed the valve gear. Apart from delivery rate the main advantage was instant oil feed rather than the delayed feed to the top end on the original system. Details are in 40 Years on.
Nearly right, Hervé Hamons is the one featured in FYO. His driven off the large idler. François version is driven off the end of the large idler spindle, this a modified spindle, fixed in the gear and using bearings at either end. The pump used, is one fitted to several Honda`s, very small and very efficient.