lub/oil pressure release

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
oils ain't oils.

I was thinking of the rocker feed lines but they are in the scavenge side so are virtually open ended. I shall no be so generalised with my comments in future.
Oil pressure could easily be checked with an adaptor screwed into the big end quill or anywhere there is access to the main feed gallery. would need a low reading guage though.
Regarding oil grades , SAE 50 or 20w50 would never be needed with a Vincent , the oil temp is never high enough. 10w40 or monograde 30 are probably ideal.
When making statements like this you have to remember this is an international forum & what applies to you (regarding oil in this case) may not apply to everyone. I am not criticising, merely pointing out you have to be careful with sweeping statements. In our great red/brown land only those in Melbourne & Tasmania could get away with straight 30w.:rolleyes:..... in winter.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Greg Brillus

A stuck shut oil relief valve (as was the case in my Rapide when i got it) would mostly be caused by moisture in the system, usually caused by short runs. And yes they are a bastard to free back up again, so i sympathise with you on that one. As for Ken's Norvin on aero grade oils, gee's mate, give your oil pump a break..... try us'in a normal multi grade and make life easier on your right leg!!! too ..cheers..Greg.

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Oil

G'day Greg,
I did use a multi grade oil for a time when I first built my Norvin and then went over to BP corse for a short time. I found the engine to be a bit "clattery" on multi grades. OMD 370 became "available" so I used that. I was able to stock pile a reasonable amount so have been using it ever since. But you are right about kicking it over in cold weather. I usually park the bike in the car port and the first cold morning of this winter I wheeled it out and after the first couple of priming strokes it just would not kick over that first compression. It now gets stored in my insulated shed so no problems at all kicking it over in the mornings now.

Phelps.