loose spindle

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
be warned-there is NO chemical substance which will rectify worn metal! the bore it fits in must be, by now oval. even god does not have a machine to make an oval spindle to make it right.the bore needs to be re-machined and a special spindle made to suit."thats the way it is" good luck.

Thanks Roy, firstly I would almost bet a gooses fa#t to a clap of thunder that the hole is not oval, if it is oval it would only be by half a thou at most, secondly upon inspection I am almost cetain that a similar repair has been done in the past in this hole: the only reason I am replacing the spindle is that the thread for the retaining nut was totally kaputt.
I have no doubt that you are speaking from years of experience Roy but I have seen Loctite products used and recommended very extensively even on high tech military aircraft (USAF, RAF as well as RAAF)
I am sure that when I eventually start the snarling beast for the first time I will come across many other things to repair, so I suppose this is temporary until I get to the point of an inevitable "cases apart" , at the moment I am simply repairing everything I can find without a complete strip down then it will be "start the beast" and find everything else that needs a look at.
Thanks for your input
Kevin

Howard

VOC Member
Temperature? I haven't a clue. A bit hotter than the outer cover and I can put my hand on that after a run, so 100 C ought to be well over. I bet someone in the club has accurate info.

H

Black Flash

VOC Member
sorry but I forgot to mention the important part. do not just glue the spindle in to find it at the wrong heigth in the end. IIRC they should produte about 0.418 to 0.428 above the favce of the timing side casting. WARNING: I just quoted the figures out of my head, please check with KTB or the Richardson book for the correct figure..
Best way to achieve is to have an rectangular strip of iron about 1" wide and 0.5 " thick that will reach across the timing side casting faces. Drill a hole the diameter of the spindle in roughly the position of the spindle through the iron. Machine the outer side of the iron around the hole to the requried thickness (the height figure the spindle should produte). fit a large washer with nut to the spindle stick it through the whole, apply your loctite and tap the spindle in. the iron across the faces will set the height of the spindle.
when the loctite has set, remove the nut and washer , job done.

Bernd

Black Flash

VOC Member
sorry but I forgot to mention the important part. do not just glue the spindle in to find it at the wrong heigth in the end. IIRC they should produte about 0.418 to 0.428 above the favce of the timing side casting. WARNING: I just quoted the figures out of my head, please check with KTB or the Richardson book for the correct figure..
Best way to achieve is to have an rectangular strip of iron about 1" wide and 0.5 " thick that will reach across the timing side casting faces. Drill a hole the diameter of the spindle in roughly the position of the spindle through the iron. Machine the outer side of the iron around the hole to the requried thickness (the height figure the spindle should produte). fit a large washer with nut to the spindle stick it through the whole, apply your loctite and tap the spindle in. the iron across the faces will set the height of the spindle.
when the loctite has set, remove the nut and washer , job done.

Bernd