Loose Bearings

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Vincent,
basically you may be right, I cannot specify exact tempertures for hot glueing bearings in an alu case as no oversize is known. Also you don´t know how fast the Loctite cures while the bearing outer heats up in the hot case. I can definitely say cold fitting a bearing in an alu case is useless, tried it on the gearbox input bearing behind the clutch : After loctiting cold and heating it to operating temperature of around 80 degrees I had NO problem to knock it out with plastic hammer. Did same procedure at 100 degrees dropping in the bearing quick and later at same temperature it was very OK. There is a minor uncertainty about what amount of preload you´d get on the hot glued bearing at what chosen temperature so you better do a test before and feel. If you don´t like the feel of being too tight at working temperature you just heat the case to above 150 degrees and it will definitely be easy to knock out for next try at lower fitting temperature. Certainly it is safer to machine an adapter bush for exact shrink fits but this is often overkill when only a bit of oversize is to fix. Bad alignment of bearings would not be a matter with little wear in bores.
And NO, STAKING is CRAP !! It is a disgrace to any designer of machinery to try get him out of troubles with this bodge. Nor would I ever dare to tap the circumference of the main bearing seats as this will end in disaster for this highly loaded place !
I went for lipped outer roller races - no staking - and no big oversize bushes in the engine because I went all metric for sure , including all crankshaft sizes except for the oil pump worm and timing gear plus the ESA items. So when chosing a modern roller bearing you can get the 30x62x20 or x16 sizes and suitable lips on inner or outer races to your liking and assembling strategies and so no oversize boring in engine case is due , just licking up any wear from 63,5 mm imperial to install a reduction to 62 mm. The modern polyamid glas reinforced caged bearins are way higher load specified than the old all metal type, even when having all over smaller dimensions. The 1 " crank mainshaft can be bushed to 30 mm in no time to get to sizes then. Well, all depends on lots of factors , no easy out for all cases . . . .

Vic

P1070623.JPG

P1070540.JPG

P1070544.JPG

Robert Watson

VOC Member
And yet my mains and many others have been THRASHED for 100's of thousands of miles with ZERO issues with the bearing moving. Mind you the OD of the bearings are hard chromed and ground to give a proper fit in the cases.

Perhaps when you have done a couple of hundred thousand km's mostly running two up with luggage, or lapping the IOM or getting a reputation for being just a bit wild you could give us a report on your Vincent!

oexing

VOC Member
So, Robert, you are saying the typical shrink fit of outer races were crap at lots of engines ? You went for chroming the outer races in consequence as a cure . I´d agree with you on that but then all the staking done from day one was no real cure for poor fits obviously , a disgrace anyway, and all sorts of troubles starting from here like heavily ground crank pin nuts from walked outer races plus cracked bores etc. . I see one reason in no available lipped roller bearings in imperial sizes with lips on outer race in those times . At least I could not find any when making my mind up on strategies with my projects. So quite logically I went full metric for various motifs and lots of choices today.

Vic