Looking for necked down nitrided/tuftrided exhaust valves

johnmead

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I am looking for a pair of new exhaust valves (ET33) that have the stem necked down between the head and where it would meet the valve guide. I have a pair of new intake valves with the necked down stems and lightened heads that are tuftrided. Package says they were made in the UK.

I got the intake valves from Coventry Spares here in the US, but they are out of stock on the exhaust.

John Mead

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
HI JOHN

Been awhile since we talked, are you sure you want t neck down the ex ?
Why not? I have successfully used them in the past. The valves you got for your liner from Spare Parts Germany should be necked down if they are the same as he sells. I know because I bought a set from him in 2012.

John Mead

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Just wondering, I have a couple of new old stock valves I would send your way no cost that's all.

Cheers

excuse the spelling

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
Just wondering, I have a couple of new old stock valves I would send your way no cost that's all.

Cheers

excuse the spelling
Thank you for the offer Max. However, I already have stock exhaust valves. I will give John at Coventry a call and ask him where he got his valves from.

John

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
I checked with John Healy at Coventry and he said he got the valves from Ron Kemp. I emailed Russell and he said that the person that made the valves for him is no longer doing it.

Does anyone know where I can get some lightened exhaust valves?

John

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
You could take the stock valves to a machine tool grinding service and show them what you want. Then send them to (Advanced Heat treat corp) they have 3 locations in the states, they will heat them up in a bath of ammonia and there you go, GAS NITRIDID VALVES.

cheers

excuse the spelling

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
You could take the stock valves to a machine tool grinding service and show them what you want. Then send them to (Advanced Heat treat corp) they have 3 locations in the states, they will heat them up in a bath of ammonia and there you go, GAS NITRIDID VALVES.

cheers

excuse the spelling
Thanks Max. I just dropped 4 new valves off at the machinist along with a lightened one for him to copy. I will stop at a couple of engine shops that do NASCAR work and ask who they use for nitriding.

John

greg brillus

VOC Member
While we're on the subject, can you use big block Chev valves to make larger valves to fit a Vincent...? I need standard exhausts, but larger inlets with a head diameter of 1.925 This is about 1/8th larger OD than standard. I think the BBC valves have a stem of 0.372 I also want to raise the step half way up the stem by 0.080 and extend the upper stem by 1/4 of an inch. This is due to the cams I am using with radiused followers, which have a lift of about 0.433 of an inch or about 11 mm. I am using Gold Star springs, retainers, and modified upper guides to suit. Any thoughts..? Cheers.....Greg.

vibrac

VOC Member
Let us know how you raise the E24 caps to give you clearance to the spring retainers and can you still have clearance to the UFM or Oil spine?
Thats where I had fun with the racing twin