Looking for FT280AS

John Dodimead

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I am looking for a top frame member FT280AS for my 1955 D Rapide. It cracked on the rear casting between the shock absorber hole and outside of one of the webs several years ago. A common fault I am told especially with a chair on the bike.

I TIG welded it (I am a welder) at the time and brazed a reinforcing strips 5 mm thick on the top of each web and rode it a lot with no reoccurrence. All the load from the shock absorber is towards the body of the casting anyway.

I now want to sell the bike and would prefer to replace the part. A good second hand one would be OK.

Last edited by a moderator:

David WEST

New Forum User
VOC Member
I am looking for a top frame member FT280AS for my 1955 D Rapide. It cracked on the rear casting between the shock absorber hole and outside of one of the webs several years ago. A common fault I am told especially with a chair on the bike.

I TIG welded it (I am a welder) at the time and brazed a reinforcing strips 5 mm thick on the top of each web and rode it a lot with no reoccurrence. All the load from the shock absorber is towards the body of the casting anyway.

I now want to sell the bike and would prefer to replace the part. A good second hand one would be OK.
Hello John, Just wondering if you are still looking for an FT280AS or if you have already sold the bike. Cheers. David