Misc: Everything Else Looking for a Comet, what are the most obvious issues?

yorchie

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There are two Comets on eBay and there are already SEVEN Vinnie twins at Mecum Vegas Auction 2019. Bonhams will have some more.... Market looks saturated.

lippy

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
These are some really good and helpful replies. Thanks! I received my first book in the mail today and may go to the Mecum auction in January. It's close for me. Still interested in the Comet but now starting to wonder if I should spend more for a Rapide. From my reading and a conversation with one guy, people seem to like riding them better.

Black Flash

VOC Member
There are quite a few bored and stroked comets around that go like stink. Most of them are equipped with Norton Commando gearboxes, which is a very good gearbox. Compared to a twin a Comet feels light and nimble and is a truly great bike especially the ones mentioned above that I have ridden.
Also the engine is far less complex and the bottom end very sturdy. I think the twin is still better for long touring but for a Sunday morning ride the Comet is brilliant.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The two Bikes are so different, I didn't like Comets when I was young, I was a bit of a speed freak.
I only built a Comet because I had all the frame bits left over after building a Twin Special.
And it was a cheap way to get another Bike.
But as I got older, The less power and weight, Cost of running, All went to make for a nice ride out.
For you to buy now, There is a big cost difference, But if you have deep pockets, You want one of each !!.
I was lucky, When I bought my stuff, They were as cheap as chips.
Try and get a ride on one first, It's a lot of money if you don't like them.
Cheers Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I had a Rapide in the 70s which I unfortunately had to let go, 10 years ago I bought a Comet and was so very disappointed with it I was going to build a new twin engine to put in it, I was then offered a twin by a friend which I bought so sold the Comet, however I find that in normal just riding about anyone on a Comet is travelling at just the same speed as me.

vibrac

VOC Member
Back when owners actually raced standard Vincents it was often said that a Comet could be just as fast as a twin round Cadwell. In my experience I don't recall an example of that when I went round Cadwell on my twin or single perhaps Bill does. Certainly on a circuit like Silverstone on the MCC trials I never saw which way the twins went even though I tried hard.......
1541705118370.png

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Oh Yes, I was on the wrong end of a Bet.
When I first started 1970, The late Graham Treacher heard me slagging off Comets, And said he would beat me, Cadwell Park, And he did, By a Mile !!.
I had just had a bad head injury in a road crash, And should never have been on the track.
And was not going to be a hero, Never was.
Plus I didn't have a clue about racing.
There was no hard feelings, We met many times after that and always had a laugh.
The late Tom Reeve, "D" Comet, Also went very well.
Good Times, I miss them, It was what I lived for at the time.
Cheers Bill.