Misc: Everything Else Looking for a Comet, what are the most obvious issues?

lippy

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi,
I'm new to Vincents and am looking for a Comet. I'd prefer a bike that has all or most of its important original parts, but may need a bit of cosmetic and mechanical work. I've restored several cars in the past and am a decent shade-tree mechanic (I can build engines, paint, and weld). I am starting to read up on Vincents to educate myself but am new to the game. I know this question is very general, but what are the most obvious things and problems I should look for in a Comet (esp Series C)? Things like parts that are particularly problematic, or parts or subassemblies that are no longer available? Thanks in advance for the help!

druridge

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Lippy
Well for a start, you have probably come to the right place!
Reading up is good; I got the Rider's Handbook, Know Thy Beast, Vincent Motorcycles (Richardson), Spare Parts List, and Original Vincent (Bickerstaff). All still available. As I understand, for a standard 'C' comet, the club spares scheme pretty well stocks the lot. There are no real 'cant get', 'cant do' issues. The engines are not terribly complicated, but appreciate work of a good standard. These bikes were certainly 'hand fettled' if not 'hand made', so they don't all go together like jigsaws, but the build quality is good. I guess I would be keen to find straight upper frame and rear frame members; I would be cautious of head stock/ oil tank (UFM) being apart or recently apart. Front suspension as Bramptons or Girdraulics are some time and money to restore if they need it. Opinions differ on which is to be preferred....
There is a price premium on matching both frame numbers and engine number. All the records are with the club so you can confirm if what you are paying for is as it left Stevenage. Many frames and engines are mixed up by now and it doesn't effect how the bike looks or rides at all.
I'm not on a commission, but I would recommend joining the club. I searched for 6 months (2017) before I found my Series 'C' Rapide; on the internet every day, classic magazines etc. Some bikes are still for sale 18 months later (!); but the right bikes at the right price soon found good homes. I eventually put a wanted advert in the club MPH magazine and got three replies, all good bikes at the right price.
Best of luck.

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think if you joined the Club and went to a local meet, You would find out a lot, And may hear of a Bike for sale at a better price than we have seen.
Have a look at Mike's Videos, That will give you a good idea of what your getting in to, The Comet has a Burman gearbox, But the rest of it is almost the same, Good Luck Bill.

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgDzKiI-i6nY67gu5wiq3nzvrrx9zfcrB

Last edited by a moderator:

evcomet

VOC Member
Hi,
I'm new to Vincents and am looking for a Comet. I'd prefer a bike that has all or most of its important original parts, but may need a bit of cosmetic and mechanical work. I've restored several cars in the past and am a decent shade-tree mechanic (I can build engines, paint, and weld). I am starting to read up on Vincents to educate myself but am new to the game. I know this question is very general, but what are the most obvious things and problems I should look for in a Comet (esp Series C)? Things like parts that are particularly problematic, or parts or subassemblies that are no longer available? Thanks in advance for the help!

@lippy

Earlier this year, after much research, I found and purchased a 1950 Comet. The bike had received a thorough restoration a number of years ago and saw little use. It looked very nice.
Though it is a very good machine, it needed a lot of attention.

All electrical components need checked. Magneto, ATD, Dynamo, Regulator and wiring.
Clutch, brakes and gearbox may also need attention. Does the gearbox leak? Does it leak a lot?
Repairs and parts can be expensive.
The good news is that most of the parts you might need are available through the VOC. Also, the depth and breadth of experience on this Forum will amaze you.

Good luck.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
lippy
Any Vincent you look at get the engine number, crankcase mating number and both UFM & RFM frame numbers. If possibly photos of the numbers helps as the stampings can then be checked they look like Vincent factory stampings and not altered by a previous owner.
Then let me have the numbers / photos and I can check them against the original Vincent factory records. You can either email me (address in MPH) or you can send a private message with photos via this forum or by going to:
https://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/form/08a-machine-registrar-simon-dinsdale.21/select

If you're going to pay the going rate, do your due diligence before handing over the cash.

Simon Dinsdale
VOC Machine Registrar.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
I think that Vincents are the best classic motorcycle there is for a restorer/rider. The huge amount of technical information readily available. All the help you can get from club members. The almost complete supply of spare parts. If you really want a concours bike with all correct parts, you might find some small items hard to find. If you want a pleasant classic touring bike for long trips, possibly with some modern improvements, a Vincent is as close to perfect you can get.
My young race mechanic had to borrow a bike once to get to the racetrack. As it was quite far away, he took the Comet instead of a Ninja or a GSXR offered, as he thought it more comfortable.

yorchie

VOC Member
The axiom "Buy the best example you can afford" fits the Vincent experience. A "fixer-upper" Vinnie is vastly different money pit than from the same type of vintage motorcycle. If I had a nickel/farthing/Mike pence for every time I hear - "just needs a little fettling" and "it works correctly once it's set up" from the diehard Vincent owners. I personally like "A Vincent Comet - Half the engine - Half the problems." I bought my Comet in 2012 and was very difficult to find one at that time. I am the poster child of "I did not pay too much - I just bought too early". Right now there are more Vincents on the market and looks to be a buyers market. Mine is a Bitsa (non matching numbers) and I don't care cause my Comet makes me happy and The VOC community is invaluable and also the reason that Vincents are so valuable. I can get parts faster for my Comet than I can for my Yamaha or KTM. Show you are serious and join the club. Don't need to even learn the secret handshake! I'm sure a few Comets will appear in private posts.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I had a couple given me as the owners had the heads off them for their twins even got a rear head thrown in and they do fit Comets as the "A" Comets had so called rear heads as standard ! First Rapide's had "rear" heads and last Rapide's had front heads, strange this Vincent world.
Bananaman.