Looking for 1948 Rapide B UFM "R 3007" (and possibly RFM as well!)

Spqreddie

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dear All, I'm looking for the UFM corresponding to the engine of my 1948 Rapide. The bike was delivered at the time to Esler in the States. I know the two previous owners of the bike but i dont know anything between the delivery and their ownerships. the bike arrived to me with unmatching frames. The UFM i'm looking for is stamped R 3007, and of course i would be also really happy to retrive the RFM. I'm willing to exchange the parts with my restored UFM and RFM and pay for the shipping and any related cost. Thanks to any one who will be able to address my quest! Eddie

Spqreddie

VOC Member
Dear Graham,
thanks, I've corresponded indeed at lenght (about 6 months) with Gordon, and it was a great help but unfortunately we were not able to determine where the parts ended up.
This is finally why i've decided to post a note here. I hope this wont cause any inconvincence, otherwise i'm ready to remove the post.
Thanks!
Edmondo

G

Graham Smith

Hi Edmondo - of course you're more than welcome to post here, and I do hope you're successful, but if Gordon or Vince can't help, then I think your chances are pretty poor.

I do hope you're successful though.

Graham

Howard

VOC Member
Maybe we can start a "where are you now?" thread. My Comet has a Shadow UFM, but the original RFM - looks like accident damage, but who knows? H

jim burgess

VOC Member
Maybe Gordon can start a "dating" agency for parts that have "wandered". Should actually be possible, but I imagine it would be a lot of work.
Jim Burgess

vibrac

VOC Member
sorry dident mean to dislike just dropped a pen
(wish we had an unlike dislike)
Gordon I have been told
(And I think its a blessing)
Does not do computers in any depth
at least our records will be safe when the (and it will come) great cyber attack of 201? comes.

Last edited:

Spqreddie

VOC Member
Even if i will not find my corresponding UFM i would not mind exchanging the one i have with somebody if this will help the person making his bike matching, in end unmatching with a number or another will not really change anything for me!
but indeed there should be kinda a register (even if not on line) to facilitate this cross checking and exchange.

Eddie

piggywig

Non-VOC Member
Howard,

I believe the Vincent factory of long ago had a service exchange system and that this probably included frame members. Others may know better? If this included R.F.M. presumably the 'exchange' part would not be stamped as the supplier would have no interest in or reason for it, and maybe the 'exchange' would have another machine's number on it or more likely no number leaving the owner to stamp his own, or not. There may well have become a few parts with duplicate numbers on different machines this way, no fraud intended! Original registration (buff) books contained engine & frames numbers but when I bought in the mid sixties a tired, old by then and very cheap bike to ride to work, numbers had very little or no relevance to the value or how well it ran, simply that engine and U.F.M. matched the book. In a world with a better grasp on values it was what mattered. Many years later I found the R.F.M. had never been stamped, not a sign of it with the paint stripped, so perhaps it is such a part. It had never affected how well the bike runs and will remain as is. Who knows what a future owner will choose to do? (But one could guess)......................

Col.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Back in the dark ages vincent supplied UFM and RFM as spare parts there were no numbers on them, also vincent dealers all over the world would have carried stock,