Longer seat from R.K Leighton.

Mark Fraser

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I bought a new seat from R.K Leighton over a year ago but the cover has started to split at one of the seams. I don't think the cover is the greatest anyway. Has anyone on here had to recover this type of seat recently? I would like to put it to an upholsterer and could anyone recommend someone in the London area?

petermb998

Non-VOC Member
I also have a longer seat but I purchased this from the Spares Company.
My seat has also split just at the small hump on the passenger side.
is this a fault with the material.
I agree with your remarks about quality.
peter

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Seat re-upholster

Try A.R. Pound in Baldock (Just round the corner from Bob Culver):D

If you give him your seat he will make a cover to suit, in the material you want. He also make tonneau covers for sidecars, re-upholsters classic MG's, and is very reasonably priced.:)

He did my seat (Comet) and my dad's sidecar tonneau cover

Neil

Last edited:

Mark Fraser

Non-VOC Member
Try A.R. Pound in Letchworth (Just round the corner from Bob Culver):D

If you give him your seat he will make a cover to suit, in the material you want. He also make tonneau covers for sidecars, re-upholsters classic MG's, and is very reasonably priced.:)

He did my seat (Comet) and my dad's sidecar tonneau cover

Neil

Peter / Comet rider,

Thanks for the info and I'll pursue. I'm getting the framework re-painted aswell. The wooden base was left unprotected aswell so I'll get one made from marine ply and varnish that aswell.

Roger Barton

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Seat base

I found Silicon such as Thomsons Weathershield is better for the base as it soaks in and will not flake like varnish. I did my Comet seat 20 plus years ago and my twin 5 years ago you can give it two or three coats and then let it dry out before assembling the seat. You could then paint or Varnish it if you wanted to.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Varnish

I was told by a boat-builder (he built clinker boats, without nails or screws, starting with straight planks) that "what you need for wood" is yacht varnish. (He quoted the brand. He didn't say "avoid cheap imitations", but the implication was clear.)
Apply a first coat diluted 50/50 with turpentine, let it dry thoroughly, then as many coats as desired, undiluted, on top. Rub down between coats. I've never tried it on a Vin seat, but it has worked brilliantly on the deeply distressed fake parquet in my front hall.