T: Fuel Tank Long term Vincent storage, avoiding rust in the petrol tank

van drenth

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I would just drain the tank, remove the taps and let the tank dry out. Refit the taps and mist in some WD40 and call it good. I wouldn’t expect it to rust inside a house either.

Also drain the carburators
Regards. van Drenth JC>

vibrac

VOC Member
I am blessed in that my workshop is an old (150-200 year) cow shed half brick and then ship lapboarding with a high roof and tiled in big old clay tiles its never been air tight ( the windows are boarded) and what ever fast changes of weather and temperature I have never known any condensation, The lathe bed is a place I always check and it never is damp.
I only switch on a gas blow heater when I am in there otherwise jack frost rules in the winter and in the summer its never too hot.
Those old farm builders knew their stuff

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
I am blessed in that my workshop is an old (150-200 year) cow shed half brick and then ship lapboarding with a high roof and tiled in big old clay tiles its never been air tight ( the windows are boarded) and what ever fast changes of weather and temperature I have never known any condensation, The lathe bed is a place I always check and it never is damp.
I only switch on a gas blow heater when I am in there otherwise jack frost rules in the winter and in the summer its never too hot.
Those old farm builders knew their stuff
I don't know if this, ACS 50 is available in the states, but might be worth looking at. It is an anti corrosive wax which comes in an aerosol can ,and is designed to not only to protect against corrosion but to get in to all the little cracks, and orifices. We found it to be great for protecting the frames on modern Japanese bikes , where corrosion breaks out around all the little brackets. should be great for inside tanks
stumpy lord