T: Fuel Tank Long term Vincent storage, avoiding rust in the petrol tank

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a couple Vincent bikes with steel tanks that need long tern storage and have been ridden up to this point with gasoline at 10% ethanol.
My experience shows that the steel tank will rust inside, some quite a bit others not so much, but rust either way.

I don't want to plastic coat or in fact any type of cream.
So looking for an oil coat or some product meant for this type storage.

I have nice paint on both so not a treatment that will stand a chance of paint damage.

What is typically done for museum storage, such as Barber, Wheels thru Time, UK museums or others?

Thank you
MO19Gastank.jpg

Last edited:

druridge

VOC Member
I have a couple Vincent bikes with steel tanks that need long tern storage and have been ridden up to this point with gasoline at 10% ethanol.
My experience shows that the steel tank will rust inside, some quite a bit others not so much, but rust either way.

I don't want to plastic coat or in fact any type of cream.
So looking for an oil coat or some product meant for this type storage.

I have nice paint on both so not a treatment that will stand a chance of paint damage.

What is typically done for museum storage, such as Barber, Wheels thru Time, UK museums or others?

Thank youView attachment 25497
I mix up a slug of 2 stroke oil with a little petrol, then rinse around the MT tank, remove the cap and vent. The petrol evaporates leaving the oil behind. Learnt this from observing the rust-free tanks on 2 strokes.

vibrac

VOC Member
Can you buy Aspen petrol in US? its a petrol intended for lawn mowers (whatever they are:p) so have not ethanol its exspensive another ethanol fuel is racing or aviation petrol

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I think the ethanol free Aspen fuel also does not go stale like widely available fuels are meant to. So a laid up bike with Aspen in the tank should be good to go when required. I said think, so some research might be required.

A best solution might be Aspen with two stroke oil and keep the cap on. It would be handy if the fuel could be used in a two stroke after storage.

craig

VOC Member
I don't want any liquid in the tank, as the bikes will be stored in the house.
I like the oil coat ideas, but i also see VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor) products and wondered if this is what museums use for storage. VCI looks to be the product for gun storage and electronic components as well.

VCIs bond electro-chemically with metal surfaces to form a protective "molecular umbrella," sealing out the air and moisture that causes rust and corrosion.

I think a pak of 6 strips cost $12

91016.jpg

Bull frog strips

Last edited:

greg brillus

VOC Member
One big problem with tanks on bikes that have the original push/pull fuel taps is they will dry out and the corks shrink. Next time the tank is filled, fuel will leak from the taps badly...........Both internally and externally. Just something to think about...........

Dinny

VOC Member
I would just drain the tank, remove the taps and let the tank dry out. Refit the taps and mist in some WD40 and call it good. I wouldn’t expect it to rust inside a house either.

vibrac

VOC Member
Dont forget its also the carb especially those in monkey metal that corrode if left with ethanol in them.
In the UK when we go to 10% and there is no longer a Esso loophole what we need is a way of buying aviation fuel and pay the tax so we can get the right stuff and small airfields can get extra income.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
Corrosion is caused by water and oxygen. Humid air contains both. So you have to keep one or both components away from the bare metal. One way is a protective coating. Different things can be used. 2-stroke oil looks like a good idea. I've heard that WD40 was initially made for keeping nuclear missiles not to corrode in the siloes. This treatment lasted for half a year. I've also heard that WD40 has a different content nowadays. Cold storage will cause condensation on the surface with temperature changes, keep them indoors. If you happens to live in a desert, you'll have less problems. There are other methods too.