London

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
London is a very big place, but i would definitely not recommend that you waste valuable time trudging round the streets looking for Whitworth spanners, nor would I recommend car boot sales, life is short enough as it is, and our time is valuable. A far bigger market place is the internet, you will be spoilt for choice, I have just looked, and delivered to your door.

RonandLinda

VOC Membership Secretary
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
Hello Michel, I think that Peter's advice is good regarding the internet but not as much fun as proper shopping. Bill suggests Machine Mart the superstore for all garage and workshop equipment and the sort of place you could spend half a day just window shopping. They are a chain and have outlets in quite a few big towns including here in Romford. Look up for the nearest store to wherever you will be staying.
Good luck with your trip and hope you find what you are looking for. Regards, Ron.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I sent for something on the Internet at Christmas !,
Still not got it , Even though I have a DHL ticket with the number on it !!,
They say they have not got it, And know nothing about it.
So I am Stuffed !.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The problem with shopping as I see it is this, apart from the fact that I hate it, and would rather stick pins in eyes than trudge round a shop, any shop, is the choice limiting factor, on the net you can choose the quality and the cost, albeit all manufactured somewhere else other than the UK, despite English sounding names like King Dick or Britool. Surely there is so much more to see if you are visiting another country than a Machine Mart selling junk.
As an aside the last time I actually enjoyed shopping was when Conway Motors were in Goldhawk Road and Humphries were in Hampstead Road, and latterly Essex Road, thems were the days!

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
When I went to Machine Mart,
I went in the door and said, "Could I have one of everything please" !,
The store chap said he had been asked that before :) .

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
It must just be me !, I like to do wood work and metal work,
I would LIKE More Motor Cycles, But don't NEED them .

vibrac

VOC Member
What we need is a Harbour Freight in the UK
(But I bet all they would sell here after a year or so would be decorators paint and wallpaper)