London ULEZ

J

Josh Smith

As some of you may be aware, the London Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) was launched in April 2019. A very controversial scheme, and one that is not explicitly clear for historic motorcycles.

I was looking on the TfL website to check if my Vincent NSU Fox was compliant for ULEZ exemption (not having to pay a fee to take it into the zone), but here it says that a fee of £12.50 per day is required. This was surprising, given that it is congestion charge exempt and 98cc, thus uses very little fuel!
Screenshot 2021-05-20 at 18.11.17.png

On a separate page for 'exemptions', I noticed that there was a section on historic vehicles. On the logbook, as is every Vincent, it is a historic vehicle so qualifies for free road tax and ULEZ exemption. This directly contradicts to the vehicle check I did earlier on, stating that I would need to pay £12.50 per day to ride within the zone.

Screenshot 2021-05-20 at 18.12.31.png

Time will tell for this scheme. It's not very clear and certainly not obvious to the majority of people using the vehicle check feature that historic vehicles are exempt from the charge. Who knows what will happen in 1, 5, even 10 years... given that the zone is going to be expanding to the bounds of the North and South Circular roads in October.

Prince Duster

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi - worth double checking for the congestion zone. I thought my bikes were - all over 40 years old - and then got a fine for my AJS. They waived it, 'this once' they said, but it appears the rules changed a couple of years back.