Loctite of the ages

Status
Not open for further replies.

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The ball joint example is not a good choice , you can hit the puller very close to the taper. With the flywheel not so. I´d think any hit on the rim will spread the shock wave into the whole component and not much arrives at the taper fit and the hit will be waisted. First step for an effective puller device would be two bigger threads in the flywheel to take the higher loads from the puller into the assembly. So then one or two hard whacks on the puller center should free the lot. I have never had to do otherwise on the BMW parts, not even thinking of hitting the rim. My guess, the Douglas taper is smaller than the 35mm size on the Earles BMW, but possibly the angle of the Douglas taper is below 5 degrees and hence the troubles with it, a design mistake then.

Vic

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I agree with Sakura that heat would help, but only if it can be applied quickly enough to so that most of the heat just goes to the flywheel. Oxy-acetylene is essential here.

Cyborg

VOC Member
What controls the end float on the crank? Might be something to consider when hitting the puller. You want to get as much tension on the puller as possible to limit the size of the hammer. As previously mentioned, remember that nut needs to be on there to control the flight of the flywheel.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
This is the Austin Mini Puller, The three bolts were only 3/8", And you can see the ball bearing in the end,
Which someone told us about, But it was used with small fitting in the end of the crank, The crank was hollow !.
The other thing I like was the H.T. Bolts were done up until the end of the threads, So locking the threads,
And I think making them stronger ?.

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_072637.jpg
    IMG_20200731_072637.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 37

greg brillus

VOC Member
Geez Bill, I can remember removing a few flywheels off mini's years ago........They use to come off with a bang.......The worst one was the boss inherited an Austin 1300 auto and I can't remember for the life of me how I got that one apart.........All I had was Mini's when i did my apprenticeship......... I remember doing a "Home job" on a relatives Mini.........we lifted the engine out by hand........madness.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Morning Greg, Yes there is not much I have not done on Minis, Might be why I have a bad Back !,
Being over 6 foot.
We used to have to strip Engine and gearbox after only a few miles, To stop oil leaks !!.
I was going to say how Horrid they were, But I know you liked them :D .
If it was an Auto, It didn't have a flywheel ??.
But my Memory is Bad, Along with everything else !.
Could not think of the name !!, Google it !!, Torque Converter.

Last edited:

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Having done as Bill said many years ago I found a great solution to fixing Minis. A local lad named Nolan Kitchener, been written up in mini magazine, race a turbo one, just nuts about them. He rebuilt this motor after one of my indiscretions. It's a 1275 motor 40 over with lumpy pistons and a big SU with superflow manifold and tall gears, big fuel tank big radiator and the Cooper disks up front. terrible little car, noisy, bumpy always needs something, but its hers so I have to look after it.

Now Tim we are tired of you not getting that flywheel off so get out to the workshop and get it done before this thread really gets derailed!

20180312_145411_HDR.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think we should all meet up at Tim's,
Greg, Get on the Bus. :D
I bought my Wife a Mini for Her birthday, Went down like a Lead Balloon !.

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Another reason I wanted two holes in the alloy case, If two people hit at the same time, It would have to give,
Tim has a Big Son.
I am sure Tim could make up 2 Alloy plugs afterwards.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I think we should all meet up at Tim's,
Greg, Get on the Bus. :D
I bought my Wife a Mini for Her birthday, Went down like a Lead Balloon !.
I'll see if I can get permission to use the mini (promise to try and not blow the engine this time) and drive over to Tim's with the rest of you. I'll bring my biggest hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.