Loctite of the ages

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Titch Allen talked of problematic old big-ends being treated with (I think) sal ammoniac) on the tapers so that the corroded together with the tapers in the flywheels to stop them moving. I don't know how true this was but that would probably make anything difficult to dismantle. Titch knew all the old dodges and bodges.

oexing

VOC Member
Vibrac,
can you post some pictures of the flywheel and crank end ? Maybe we come to some ideas then. I would not think anybody puts Loctite on tapers, silly idea really. I´d try a massive hammer on the crank end with some protective spacer or so - photos please. But first you have to put a good force from a sturdy puller on the assembly - plus a good blow onto the crank. The size of the hammer is critical, the bigger the crank halves the bigger the hammer. You really need a good impulse from the hammer . Maybe cut two substantial threads in the external flywheel near the hub and a massive bridge over the crank end for a powerfull puller - plus the hammer blow for sure.

Vic

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Lots of pressure applied with a good strong puller will sometimes struggle to release tight-fitting parts but as Vic says, the shock of a blow with a hammer on the end of the extractor thread will often do the trick.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I would not think anybody puts Loctite on tapers, silly idea really.
Vic

Harley Davidson recommended RC40 Loctite for some of their crankpins. Takes a long time to cure so you can beat the flywheels back and forth for about 3 hours.

vibrac

VOC Member
Here is the problem
My next stage is to make a new 3/4"extractor center screw and use the head of the old screw to form a new threaded boss welded to the plate to increase the length of the thread in the plate (I knew just a plate thread was marginal but I thought it was worth a try since it was a quantum improvement on the standard method which involves just two 5/16 extractor studs the holes (these can be seen near the center boss/crankshaft end) I will also step up the preheating and employ a sharp tap or two. if that fails I shall have a long think. more next week....
1595925066843.jpeg

Attachments

• 1595925066293.jpeg
    1595925066293.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 13

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Maybe drill a pair of big holes in the alloy case, One each side To give it big Knock ! From the back ?.
While using the puller as well.

vibrac

VOC Member
Maybe drill a pair of big holes in the alloy case, One each side To give it big Knock ! From the back ?.
While using the puller as well.
Ah thats the stuff Bill! thinking outside the box. I am not about to drill holes (yet!) but its given me an extra idea there is a small access cover on the side to the clutch operating mech I think a small copper drift in there might upset a few interfaces along with everything else. Vincents or not, Thankfully there are a few horny handed engineers on here. Thanks

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Are those 2 holes close to the centre for a puller ?,
I wonder if the metal is not too hard if you could drill them out and rethread to take bigger puller bolts ?.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Some Loctite is good for 450f, so heating to 500f (260C) is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.