Loctite of the ages

Status
Not open for further replies.

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a non Vincent engine with a large fly wheel on a taper its been there for circa 35 years at least. The securing nut was loose when I removed it and so the flywheel was obviously secure in use without the nut (there is a woodruff key involved according to the parts list). So far the flywheel has resisted all attempts to remove it. and that includes extractors with 6 fixing points and 3/4" central extractor and a rattle gun. (I have run through the gamut of fluids sharp taps and leaving overnight)
It is the mass of the flywheel that has prevented me applying a lot of heat, I am now wondering whether locktite is playing a part in the scenario (Ahgh!) what loctites were available in the mid eighties? and what temperature do they need to cook and loose their hold?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Have you any of the Car half shaft hydraulic pullers, They did about three sizes, A sort of cone shape went
on the wheel nuts / flange.
That's what I used on my Comet.
I think I had to grind a bit out of the side for some reason.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Cut some away because the main shafts got in the way !.

Attachments

• IMG_20200724_165301.jpg
    IMG_20200724_165301.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 51

bmetcalf

VOC Member
When Steve Hamel tried to press one axle of my crank out of the flywheel, his press wasn't enough. He ended up boring out the shaft a bit to weaken it and yield to the press.

vibrac

VOC Member
Its pull off the external flywheel I need not push and the taper is part of the crankshaft inside the crankcase and its all a bit hens teeth I just wondered if its possible loctite was smeared on the taper!!!

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
So go to 150-200 degree.
Locktite comes weak.
But maybe a quick intens heat arround by oxy bruner might do a good job.

Maybe cool with water, (hot)
Than heat again.
Its all down to the f@#king little micro movements that do yhe trick.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
The flywheel is probably held by a tapered shaft. During normal operating the flywheel might have got warm and moved up on the tapered shaft, effectively making it tighter on the taper when cold.
My suggestion is to warm the flywheel over an extended period while a puller attempts to withdraw it from the taper. Using force here could bend the shaft.

ketelbinkie

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
vibrac, vincents trick will do the job ,but if you have the puller on it put the nut on it as well ,just for 3 or 4 turns
(if possible).
if the flywheel gets off ,it will do it whit a big bang ,the nut will than prevent it for flying off.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
There was a couple of Loctite products in the eighties. Don't remember what types. (Loctite appeared in 1956)
The taper could have rusted. Best would be to heat and if you happens to have a bucket of liquid nitrigen pour some on the shaft. Maybe a bit hard to get that stuff though. Could be that vets have some, as it it is used for transporting sperm for cattle insemination.

Status
Not open for further replies.