Where Are You Now? LKN806

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Guys,

Here are a couple of photos of a bike and uk rego. Where is the bike now? CT Ray was the first owner and I have allot of documents pertaining to this bike. I have for example the original certificate of warranty from the factory.

Screenshot 2018-12-17 at 08.57.37.jpg
Screenshot 2018-12-17 at 08.57.26.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
LKN 806 was around in 2003 but nothing has been heard of since so curtrent location and owner is unknown, but it is still registered with the DVLA in the UK.
Its was originally a mid 1949 series C Rapide.
Simon
Perhaps it was one that had its Bramptons replaced at the Factory in the early 50's

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Perhaps it was one that had its Bramptons replaced at the Factory in the early 50's
The works order form for the bike definately shows it left the factory with Girdraulics in May 1949. Its exactly as an early series C Rapide would expect to be with straight seat lug RFM and also the early type gearlever which most owners incorrectly call the series B gearlever.
Series C was introduced in late 1948 and the early ones up until August/September 1949 were all HRD machines. The rarest Black Shadows made were the early series C "HRD" Shadows of which in the database there is only approx 35 known off. Series C HRD Rapides there were a lot more though.
Simon

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
The works order form for the bike definately shows it left the factory with Girdraulics in May 1949. Its exactly as an early series C Rapide would expect to be with straight seat lug RFM and also the early type gearlever which most owners incorrectly call the series B gearlever.
Series C was introduced in late 1948 and the early ones up until August/September 1949 were all HRD machines. The rarest Black Shadows made were the early series C "HRD" Shadows of which in the database there is only approx 35 known off. Series C HRD Rapides there were a lot more though.
Simon

The letters from C.T Ray to the factory indicate he was first interested in a Black Shadow and the factory did not have any in stock at that particular moment. He then bought the Rapide and within a year had a minor fender bender which was fixed by the factory.

I believe the Bike could be in the Beaulieu Museum in the UK. If anyone knows a person involved have them contact me. I would gladly scan the information I have to share it.

G

Graham Smith

The rarest Black Shadows made were the early series C "HRD" Shadows of which in the database there is only approx 35 known of.

Cue the waves of H.R.D. badged Black Shadows soon to appear at a Bonhams action and described in the catalogue as being ‘the rarest of all’!!!!