• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Where Are You Now? LKN806

genedn

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
Hi Guys,

Here are a couple of photos of a bike and uk rego. Where is the bike now? CT Ray was the first owner and I have allot of documents pertaining to this bike. I have for example the original certificate of warranty from the factory.

Screenshot 2018-12-17 at 08.57.37.jpgScreenshot 2018-12-17 at 08.57.26.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

vin998

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
LKN 806 was around in 2003 but nothing has been heard of since so current location and owner is unknown, but it is still registered with the DVLA in the UK.
Its was originally a mid 1949 series C Rapide.
Simon

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Note lower link angle and exposure of rear springboxes. By the way, that is a great picture of a happy young man.

vibrac

VOC Member
LKN 806 was around in 2003 but nothing has been heard of since so curtrent location and owner is unknown, but it is still registered with the DVLA in the UK.
Its was originally a mid 1949 series C Rapide.
Simon
Perhaps it was one that had its Bramptons replaced at the Factory in the early 50's

vin998

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Perhaps it was one that had its Bramptons replaced at the Factory in the early 50's
The works order form for the bike definately shows it left the factory with Girdraulics in May 1949. Its exactly as an early series C Rapide would expect to be with straight seat lug RFM and also the early type gearlever which most owners incorrectly call the series B gearlever.
Series C was introduced in late 1948 and the early ones up until August/September 1949 were all HRD machines. The rarest Black Shadows made were the early series C "HRD" Shadows of which in the database there is only approx 35 known off. Series C HRD Rapides there were a lot more though.
Simon

genedn

VOC Member
The works order form for the bike definately shows it left the factory with Girdraulics in May 1949. Its exactly as an early series C Rapide would expect to be with straight seat lug RFM and also the early type gearlever which most owners incorrectly call the series B gearlever.
Series C was introduced in late 1948 and the early ones up until August/September 1949 were all HRD machines. The rarest Black Shadows made were the early series C "HRD" Shadows of which in the database there is only approx 35 known off. Series C HRD Rapides there were a lot more though.
Simon
The letters from C.T Ray to the factory indicate he was first interested in a Black Shadow and the factory did not have any in stock at that particular moment. He then bought the Rapide and within a year had a minor fender bender which was fixed by the factory.

I believe the Bike could be in the Beaulieu Museum in the UK. If anyone knows a person involved have them contact me. I would gladly scan the information I have to share it.

Graham Smith

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The rarest Black Shadows made were the early series C "HRD" Shadows of which in the database there is only approx 35 known of.
Cue the waves of H.R.D. badged Black Shadows soon to appear at a Bonhams action and described in the catalogue as being ‘the rarest of all’!!!!

vibrac

VOC Member
To be fair and I think our registrar will confirm Bonhams at least do check with VOC before publishing and certainly readact any poor statements that come to light. (before the sale there is always a sale crib sheet)
I know their fees make you wince but some auction houses do charge less in fees but are also less diligent with descriptions

vin998

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes Bonhams usually check the numbers with me before they take a Vincent on, but I say usually as its not always the case as the odd one or two slip through, so just because its in the Bonhams catalogue don't assume what you read is correct.

Actually the rarest Shadows are the White Shadows of which less than 20 were made and of those the ultimate in rarity was a red painted White Shadow of which only one was made. Before you all get the red paint out, the bike is accounted for.

Simon

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
Every one can have hind sight. Some how I've ended up with a One off from the works and probably the quietest engine they ever built mechanically. Now in the process of coming together with much prodding & prompting from Vibrac.

vibrac

VOC Member
I want to ride it in a MCC Trial but I dont think the DVLA will ever give us a number
Its not where are you? at the moment its more a case of where is any paperwork ?....
1545140716595.jpeg

Latest Forum Threads