FF: Forks Little things - Girdraulic Pad Bolts

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Tim, my provocative reply, posting 2 following your posting 1 in this thread was only partly tongue in cheek. I have looked through two parts lists, the first is 1954 and the other is dated January 1961. Either there are bolts on the drawings which I am failing to see or on these two illustrations, seven years apart, there is a bolt, 830, on the right hand side and it seems not to be illustrated on the left hand side. Over the years many people have noticed anomalies in the drawings and have generally accepted that these were just things which got past whoever edited these sheets. I think that the basic answer is that what you choose to do with your nuts is up to you.

craig

VOC Member
Reviewing the original question regarding your nuts on a Vincent.

Girdraulic1949Ad.jpgVincent_1953_Girdaulic_Forks.jpg.

vibrac

VOC Member
Well thanks Craig ( ignoring the diversion on headlight stays) Take note Concours judges! the MO 63 and this advert seems to agree only one offside nut points forward the nearside nut is on the back!
Fancy me with red handlebar rubbers noting that minutia

1606407166467.png

1606407300326.png

craig

VOC Member
panic might ensue when you realize that the brake balance arm( F55) stop (FF75/1) has been added to the Girdraulic front plate according to the 1953 advertisement. And it is well known at what frame number this addition occurred.
Also the nuts were all moved to the front to better balance the bike, even tho the aerodynamics were compromised.

Last edited:

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
If you can believe that the whole world/universe was created in six days, that someone can live inside a whale or that a star can stay stationary above a house for weeks or months then I have a great bargain for you. Send applications for more information on used notes of large denomination.
I really feel compelled to respond.
1) How long is a day when the earth is not yet spinning on its axis? Perhaps age or eon would be a better translation? Who can say how long it would take any being that can make millions or billions of stars and planets from nothing (but energy, perhaps) to do so? Consider how much energy to make the universe using M=E/C**2 (E=MC**2 but solve for M). Bonus question: How long would you have to ride your Vincent fitted with a Miller 50-watt generator to make even a grain of sand, much less the entire universe?
2) Well documented that British sailor James Bartley fell overboard in 1891 whilst whaling, was swallowed by a whale, and found alive the next day when the dead whale was found and was being cut apart. He lived another 18 years.
3) Ancient astronomers were some of the most educated and mathematically knowledgeable people at the time, but they didn't know a star from a planet (Greek for wanderer (wandering star)). There are several astronomical events that occurred specifically in the 7 BC to 2 BC time period that would give the perception of a "star" (really a planet or planets) to remain in place, move backwards relative to the earth, or to appear and disappear based upon their position relative to the sun and not to be seen from all locations on earth. There is not enough recorded information to know which astronomically predictable event was the one in question. OTOH, it could be an entirely supernatural (see answer #1) event.
Please send any "used notes of large denomination" to me in gratitude for the explanations.
Thank you!

timetraveller

VOC Member
Well, one can argue about what one means by day. An Earth day, 365.25 per Earth year, a Venus day 116+ Earth days in a Venus year which is 225 days or even a galactic year, about 25 million Earth years, However it still took a lot longer than that for the Earth to achieve its present form.

But what about James Bartley? According to legend, Bartley was part of a whaling crew in the Falkland Islands during the 19th century when he was swallowed alive by a whale. A few days later, his crew managed to capture the whale and cut it open, freeing Bartley. Not only was the sailor still alive, but he had a paler complexion thanks to exposure to stomach acid within the belly of the beast. It's a great story -- and the bleached out details make it seem more plausible -- but if you dig into the tale a bit you'll discover it's simply not true [source: Shattuck]. The story originated in a letter reportedly written by one of Bartley's fellow crew members, who supposedly sailed with Bartley on the Star of the East. Further research reveals that not only was there no one by the name of James Bartley aboard the ship, but the vessel wasn't actually a whaler. Even more telling, the wife of the ship's captain went on record saying that the entire whale story never actually happened and was likely just a hoax by a bored group of crew members. Scepticism is your friend.

One of these astronomically interesting events is taking place right now. For the first time in about 800 years the planets Jupiter and Saturn appear very near to each other on the sky. It is this kind of thing which some people think might have given rise to the legend of 'the star of Bethlehem'. This planetary conjunction can be seen over the next few weeks as the two bodies get nearer to each other on the sky, not in absolute distance. While this is happening go find a spot where this planetary alignment seems to become stationary over a building or even a city, county or continent. I predict you will find this impossible.

It is not my intention to cause offence (well only a little bit really) to those who choose to believe in elves or fairies. However, making a Vincent work properly will not be achieved by prayer, the burning of herbs or the mutilation of passing animals. One has to resort to the application of science and technology. All else will fail and I will pay good money to anyone who can demonstrate otherwise.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Fact check on the whale story, just in case someone thinks they might try this and survive-

More recently, the facts were carefully investigated by historian Edward Davis, who pointed out many inconsistencies. The ship in the story is The Star of the East; a British ship by the same name existed and sailed during the time in which the incident allegedly occurred and could have been near the Falklands at the right time, but the real Star of the East was not a whaling vessel and its crew list did not include a James Bartley.[2] Moreover, Mrs. John Killam, the wife of the Captain, wrote a letter stating that "there is not one word of truth in the whale story. I was with my husband all the years he was in the Star of the East. There was never a man lost overboard while my husband was in her. The sailor has told a great sea yarn." Davis suggested that the story may have been inspired by the "Gorleston whale", a 30-foot rorqual killed near Great Yarmouth shortly before in June 1891 that generated a lot of publicity.[10]

While the veracity of the story is in question, it is physically possible for a sperm whale to swallow a human whole, as they have been known to swallow giant squid whole.[11] However, such a person would drown or suffocate in the whale's stomach.

vibrac

VOC Member
Well hat sorts out the position of the nuts :eek:
Me? I am a believer in the Many worlds theory so there is a Universe somewhere where whatever you can think of has happened (so long as it respects whatever physical laws apply in that particular universe)

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
I expect I will be banished and have my membership rescinded as both my top nuts are to the front. This is to accommodate the mounting of a speedometer on one side and an eight day clock on the other.

Attachments

• 20201127_101529.jpg
    20201127_101529.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 50