ET: Engine (Twin) Lipped Main Bearings

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Don't worry Ed , I am just thinking out loud, Being Lazy :) .
As I think you know, I built the Bike without the Flywheels in it, Just to see what it would look like :) ,
I love it so much I don't want to take it apart again, Too Lazy again !.
Cheers Bill.

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
I turned the width off my bearing ring in the lathe. Start with a fresh suitable grade carbide tip and the 60 Rockwell C bearing ring peels away like butter and leaves a nice finish.

A couple of months ago I was having a conversation with Mr. Watson about bearings for those NOS cases and he mentioned that you could narrow them on a lathe. I gave it a try with an old race and was surprised how easily it turned and how nice the finish was. I would have expected all sorts fuss and racket, but not so. Handy things those carbide inserts, although I mostly use tool steel. I have now figured out it’s easy to shape and sharpen and seems to work better given the South Bend 9A barely has enough grunt to remove the skin off a rice pudding. Still learning...

vibrac

VOC Member
I must admit I must have had my one lathe tool insert for over a year I have turned it once and my Harrison 3 phase big boy gives a lot of power to the chuck.
Talking of sharpening this last year I seem somehow to have acquired the knack of sharpening twist drills freehand where did that come from? I tried for long enough as an apprentice and got nowhere:confused:

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
regrettably, I cannot recall where I found this item - but it is relevant .
bearing 001.jpg