Lindsay Kyle Racer

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This is Lindsay Kyle's Comet Racer. It has many interesting mods, but I have posted it because I mentioned it in the "Racing Pipe" thread, but I did not want to hi-jack the thread. The pipe starts as 1-5/8" and it has a megaphone and an absorption silencer.

LindsayKyle_PB_01.jpg

David

davidd

VOC Member
No catch pan, I thought AHRMA required those.

Also, is that front fender stay custom made?

Bruce,

It is an unwritten rule that you do not protest guests like the NZ Ken McIntosh crew that came over in 2011. The above photo is not from Barber, but the transmission and carb were illegal (1-1/2" GP and Triumph box.)

The fender mount is cute. I usually just use spacers or I mount it on the lower spring box bolt. It is hard to see in this photo, but he has a custom made top link and the FF1 is also custom made to hold a larger shock.

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Those fork links look strange, They both look Level !! Did it go well David ? I tried an 1 1/2" G.P. once and could not get it to go well, May be if he had a light crank ? Cheers Bill.

davidd

VOC Member
Those fork links look strange, They both look Level !! Did it go well David ? I tried an 1 1/2" G.P. once and could not get it to go well, May be if he had a light crank ? Cheers Bill.

Bill,

It went very well and he won the championship which was two races at Barber and two races at Daytona.

The 1-1/2 GP works very well on my bike and it was used exclusively on the Grey Flash when Coburn Benson raced it. Kurt Fisher qualified at 113.7 MPH at Daytona in 1968 with it. Stock flywheels were used.

I am allowed to use a 1-7/16 amal 10TT9 as it was used originally on the Flashes, but they are harder to find than Flashes!

LindsayKyle_PB_02_1.jpg

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I would love to know how He / You, Got the 1 1/2" to work, I must admit I gave up after a short time, My Comet was never the same for long, A road bike then a Black Flash Then a road bike using what ever bits were around, It now has a Rear Head on it !! Just for a ride, All Good Fun, Cheers Bill.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there David, it looks like the upper link is shorter, and the shocker has about one inch of travel before it hits the rubber stopper.....I wonder how the shocker attaches at the top...?? Cheers......Greg.

davidd

VOC Member
I would love to know how He / You, Got the 1 1/2" to work, I must admit I gave up after a short time, My Comet was never the same for long, A road bike then a Black Flash Then a road bike using what ever bits were around, It now has a Rear Head on it !! Just for a ride, All Good Fun, Cheers Bill.

I do not have the tuning data at hand and the carb is in storage for now. I would be happy to give you the info when I get my hands on it again. I have also run a 36mm MK 2 on the bike, which worked very well. I may have that tuning data if it is of interest.

David

There was a Grey Flash that raced with a rear head! Nothing wrong with it.

davidd

VOC Member
Hi there David, it looks like the upper link is shorter, and the shocker has about one inch of travel before it hits the rubber stopper.....I wonder how the shocker attaches at the top...?? Cheers......Greg.

The lugs for the handle bars have been moved forward and thus the pivot point for the upper link has also gone forward. As far as I can see, this was done to use a particular shock. The shock rod is scewed into an aluminum adaptor that fits up into the FF1 and an allan bolt in the side of FF1 holds the adaptor in place. It uses up quite a bit of space.

David

Last edited: