Lindie - problem replying to threads

RMA

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
briefly, i've struck a wall trying to reply to a thread or two. is this normal or are my settings off?
You can only reply to your own threads as long as your not a member, unfortunately you can't see this differentiation in the posting rules box down bottom left on the screen.

If you really want to reply to somebody else's thread then just start a new one and title it appropriately as (I hope) I've done.

Cheers

Roy

G

Graham Smith

Starting a new thread, to reply to someone else's message just isn't acceptable. We'll end up with threads all over the place.

The correct way to reply to threads that you don't start is to join the VOC and get full access to the forum.

RMA

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Fair enough I take your point, but unless the progression on the membership fee is altered, I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't feel inclined to cough up for a half a year's membership in November - which presumably means actually only getting one month's membership.

I fully appreciate that the club has the right to make any rules it deems appropriate and I don't know what the grounds were for setting things up so that non-members can post, but only in their own threads. It strikes me as a bit odd though and it certainly doesn't help that the "Posting Rules" don't actually reflect this situation, leading to considerable confusion and irritation until someone explains the situation. (I fully appreciate that there may be technical reasons for this, but it doesn't alter the fact that it's extremely irritating!)

A final point is that while I no longer have a Vincent and am unlikely to have one in the future, I was a very active paying member for well over twenty years and have done my fair bit to help putting Vincents in the limelight (in the 1980s/90s), I haven't forgotten everything I learned whilst I was active and it does seem a bit odd that, when I try to pass on some of this knowledge, the club deems it necessary to lay stones in my path.

Cheers

Roy

G

Graham Smith

Fair enough I take your point, but unless the progression on the membership fee is altered, I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't feel inclined to cough up for a half a year's membership in November - which presumably means actually only getting one month's membership.
Firstly, the Membership fee/structure isn't going to be altered — it's considered to be fair by the Club's Executive and General Committee.

Secondly, you're wrong in thinking that if you joined in November you'd only get one month's membership for the cost of six months. If you joined now, you'd actually get 14 months Membership for the cost of 12, as we give you November and December for free.

I fully appreciate that the club has the right to make any rules it deems appropriate and I don't know what the grounds were for setting things up so that non-members can post, but only in their own threads. It strikes me as a bit odd though and it certainly doesn't help that the "Posting Rules" don't actually reflect this situation, leading to considerable confusion and irritation until someone explains the situation. (I fully appreciate that there may be technical reasons for this, but it doesn't alter the fact that it's extremely irritating!)
There isn't a technical reason why non-VOC Members can't post on our forum. This restriction is put in place as the VOC Members who regularly use the forum decided would be a good incentive to get non-Members to join. Furthermore, it stops non-Members who have no technical knowledge whatsoever giving out misleading advice.

A final point is that while I no longer have a Vincent and am unlikely to have one in the future, I was a very active paying member for well over twenty years and have done my fair bit to help putting Vincents in the limelight (in the 1980s/90s), I haven't forgotten everything I learned whilst I was active and it does seem a bit odd that, when I try to pass on some of this knowledge, the club deems it necessary to lay stones in my path.
I appreciate the fact that you were a Member some time ago, but so were many other Members and we just can't make an exception otherwise everyone else would expect the same.

RMA

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
This restriction is put in place as the VOC Members who regularly use the forum decided would be a good incentive to get non-Members to join.
I guess pecuniary self-interest is about the best reason around! :D

Secondly, you're wrong in thinking that if you joined in November you'd only get one month's membership for the cost of six months. If you joined now, you'd actually get 14 months Membership for the cost of 12, as we give you November and December for free.

Ah, that makes a big difference of course, but I didn't see that mentioned anywhere on the application form!

There isn't a technical reason why non-VOC Members can't post on our forum.

My reference to "technical reasons" was aimed at the fact that when logged in and reading somebody else's thread, the "Posting Rules" box at the bottom left says "You may post replies", since it doesn't add "to your own threads", most newbies tend to try to answer other threads and get most confused and irritated when they can't.

Furthermore, it stops non-Members who have no technical knowledge whatsoever giving out misleading advice.

Well, it doesn't exactly stop people posting rubbish, but I agree it does keep it quarantined.

Last edited by a moderator: