Limited tyre choice C Rapide

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
I need to replace the tyres on my C Rapide.There are small splits,mostly in the rear tyre due to the bike standing for 8 years.

After reading tyre posts here I notice there's quite a few differing rim sizes on the bikes and tyre choice/range differs depending
on rim size. There doesn't seem to be a standard.

I have Avon Speedmaster Mk2 3.00 20" front and Avon SM Mk2 3.25/3.50 19" rear and looks like I can get these from 'Vintage Tyres'.
Also interested in trying the Roadriders as I have these on my BMW R60/6 but there doesn't seem to be a 20" available.
There's not a lot of clearance on the rear near the chainguard for anything much wider than the SM Mk2.
Any help appreciated.
Dan

Prince Duster

VOC Member
Hi - for what it's worth, on our family Prince, I was using, as did my father Alan, Avon Road Riders. I then went back to the more standard Avon Speedmaster Mk2 and Avon SM - it now handles, steers and generally feels much better. Steering and turn-in particularly improved. I've come to the view the best tyres for any bike are probably the sizes and patterns, perhaps with improved compounds, they were designed with in mind and developed using.
David

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Definitely 21" on the front as the Grey F & Black L had them so trail alteration is negligible , using Avon Distanzia on a WM 3 rim! Avon literature even suggests wider and gives better support , more rubber on the road, also an extra 4 to 5mm more tread, milages are far better too, 18" WM 4 rear x 410 with tread depth 10.5 mm and expect to get 10k miles. Little fettling to clear mudguards, tight against RFM tubes. same diameter as a 19" but giving more absorption in transmission, depends what you want, I like using the bike with minimum expense as I couldn't afford to run a modern bike for many reasons, the prime reason I like riding it is because I've always ridden it.
bananaman.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Hi - for what it's worth, on our family Prince, I was using, as did my father Alan, Avon Road Riders. I then went back to the more standard Avon Speedmaster Mk2 and Avon SM - it now handles, steers and generally feels much better. Steering and turn-in particularly improved. I've come to the view the best tyres for any bike are probably the sizes and patterns, perhaps with improved compounds, they were designed with in mind and developed using.
David

Thanks
I agree. I do find the handling very good with the SM & Speedmaster tyres so I think I'll get the same.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Is wheel removal straight forward?
It has a lever type centre stand fitted in addition to the standard one at the rear.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
With my Petteford rear springs, while my Series C is on the rear stand, the front stand doesn't lift the front high enough to remove the 21" front wheel. OK in my shop, but would require some extra measures at roadside. Other than that, removal is just as described in the Riders Handbook.