Misc: Everything Else Lights

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A friend was riding home after visiting me on Exmoor when a red deer stag leapt out from the right and jumped diagonally over him leaving a muddy smear on his shoulder and helmet. He said that that was when he discovered that adrenaline is brown.
Come around a blind corner and meet a Herd of Roosevelt Elk... and you'll find it's not only brown, but has splotches of yellow in it!

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
Vibrac - I was also confused about the headlamp sizes. In another thread, Simon kindly informed me that what is called the 6.1/2 inch Miller Headlamp on the Series C is the same as the 7 inch model used earlier (PR18/1), which is different from the 8 inch model (PR18) used on early Series B machines.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I have just received this from Mr Goff. Suitable for 6v, 12v and +/- earth. A sort of universal headlight. Rated at 30w. I have 240v 30w floodlights around my house and they are sharp and bloody bright. This globe (?) is called a Daylighter and I can't wait to try it on the kangaroos.
View attachment 29893View attachment 29895
OK Al, what about a report on the performance of the new Globe???

Albervin

VOC Member
Martyn, it is for my Shadow which is 12v. I will put it into my 6v Rapide for a test. Just because you asked so nicely.

Albervin

VOC Member
Vibrac - I was also confused about the headlamp sizes. In another thread, Simon kindly informed me that what is called the 6.1/2 inch Miller Headlamp on the Series C is the same as the 7 inch model used earlier (PR18/1), which is different from the 8 inch model (PR18) used on early Series B machines.
I would be interested to know if the only change required to convert a USA headlight back to "normal" is the rim and lens. Were the reflectors also different?

Albervin

VOC Member
The focal point of a lamp is determined by the reflector. It is a parabola which has a fixed focus determined by a mathematical equation. You can change the depth of the globe in the reflector. A bit tricky and also a bit hit and miss. The lens merely sets the cut offs, forward, left and right. The upper and lower are set via the tilting of the headlight shell. I will try to measure the filament and LED distances and see if I can adjust. In reality I think this is a job for Magnetoman as I am a chemist and have been known to make smoke when smoke is not good.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have a light on one of my bikes (not a Vincent) that is a spotlight reflector fitted with a twin filament bulb, to get it to work right I had to set up a rig so I could move the bulb in and out to get the sort of spread I wanted, I ended up about 2mm back from the mount, it's an interesting experiment to try on any reflector as a small change can make a considerable difference to the spread.