Misc: Everything Else Lights

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have tried some oftenly praised ones in my Range Rover P38.
They do look super bright when looking at them. Driving at night was a nightmare, felt like using a forties 6 V system. And yes they had af fine thread and ring for focus adjustments.
Went for quartz halogen "nightbreakers" best bulbs ever.
That said I am sure there will be even more progress with led lights. But I was very disappointed.
Exactly what I use on my 1952 Riley. Really excellent considering the reflectors are over 60 years old.

Albervin

VOC Member
If you have a Walkernator, or something similar, then I recommend the 130/90 watt quarts halogen bulbs. They focus properly and send a beam of light well down the road for safe night riding.
Unfortunately that would be illegal here. 90/90 is about as far as we are supposed to go.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I don't know Peter. I use the left hand gadget off a 500c V twin Honda. This has dip and head, indicators, horn flash to acknowledge people etc all built in to one casting and I know that does not cause any trouble. I was worried about the current when I first tried the larger bulbs but could never find any significant heating of wiring or the contacts. If you wanted to go for the more powerful bulb and the present dip switch is not up to it then you could get the dip switch to operate two small relays inside the headlamp shell.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Just install a two way relay, I have a simple aftermarket car one in my Norton headlamp, it's normally on dip, for main the dip switch energises the relay to change over it to main.

nkt267

VOC Member
I have just received this from Mr Goff. Suitable for 6v, 12v and +/- earth. A sort of universal headlight. Rated at 30w. I have 240v 30w floodlights around my house and they are sharp and bloody bright. This globe (?) is called a Daylighter and I can't wait to try it on the kangaroos.
View attachment 29893View attachment 29895
I have just put on on my '29 sunbeam..Much better than the 6V bulb that was in there..You'll be surprised that the dip does not go out when you switch to main..

stu spalding

VOC Member
A VW latching relay dipswitch, available from Vehicle Wiring Products, will fit in the headlamp shell. It is activated by switching earth through a normal handlebar pushbutton and is more than capable of handling serious wattage headlights. I put a small "grain of wheat" bulb behind the ammeter to act as a main beam warning light. Cheers, Stu.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I use the same Peter but via relays now so minimal current, back in the 60's and still on 6v it would burn the contacts and become dodgy.
bananaman

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I mounted an H4-compatible reflector in my D Rap. That opens up a wide array of possibilities. What I got was the "Native H4" LED listed here:

It's excellent. Draws something like 24 watts but throws a very nice beam, both high and low beam. I don't know if they're available across the seas.

And my wife and I just discovered how much yellow-lens glasses help suppress oncoming glare. I'm sold on that too.

nkt267

VOC Member
this is what my 6 Volt LED bulb looks like..I got it from Paul Goff. Still needs adjusting for height.

Attachments

• P1030648.MP4
    33.4 MB

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello John, Won't it blind oncoming traffic, I can't see a cut off like old lights,
The only way we could do it was a bit of tape in the right place ?. Cheers Bill.