Misc: Everything Else Lights

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have just received this from Mr Goff. Suitable for 6v, 12v and +/- earth. A sort of universal headlight. Rated at 30w. I have 240v 30w floodlights around my house and they are sharp and bloody bright. This globe (?) is called a Daylighter and I can't wait to try it on the kangaroos.
IMG_1135.jpg
IMG_1138.jpg

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Will be interesting to know your thoughts on the light pattern and usability at night as I have not tried this type of LED bulb.

I have used other LED headlight bulbs of older technology for daytime riding for which they are great, but at night I would rate them as equivalent to the old 6V bulbs as they just don't appear to project any distance in the dark. Certainly not as good as quarts halogen.

In saying that LED's are improving all the time.

vibrac

VOC Member
They are changing whether its an improvement or not it depends if you are behind them or in front
When in front I find the items fitted to modern tin boxes are an absolute menace if the comatose CD or TV attentive supposed driver does not dip, and even then on an old bike you can be easily blinded, Plus with the ridiculous support pillars in a modern car windscreen you will pop into his forward view a lot later and of course his flood lights will make any oncoming light less obvious
I fear we will decend into a spiral of ever increasing blinding illumination wars

macvette

Non-VOC Member
They are changing whether its an improvement or not it depends if you are behind them or in front
When in front I find the items fitted to modern tin boxes are an absolute menace if the comatose CD or TV attentive supposed driver does not dip, and even then on an old bike you can be easily blinded, Plus with the ridiculous support pillars in a modern car windscreen you will pop into his forward view a lot later and of course his flood lights will make any oncoming light less obvious
I fear we will decend into a spiral of ever increasing blinding illumination wars
Made worse with cars equipped with automatic dip because they have to detect your lights before they dip and often do it later than a driver would.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
We fitted a normal ? LED bulb and there was no proper dip, It was all over the place,
It really needed a bit of black tape cut to the right shape like in the old days when you went to France,
Only dipped to the other side.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
We fitted a normal ? LED bulb and there was no proper dip, It was all over the place,
It really needed a bit of black tape cut to the right shape like in the old days when you went to France,
Only dipped to the other side.
I have found LED headlight bulbs are very sensitive to the focal point of the reflector and if they are slightly out the dip function is not visible

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I've tried several but none in the last couple of years, I found most had a poor dip cut-off, I did find one that was good but found with them all that the light seemed to be absorbed by dark surfaces, riding down a shrub/tree lane a night with dark tarmac or a damp road was nearly like having no lights, conversely any reflective sign was positively blinding.

Black Flash

VOC Member
I have tried some oftenly praised ones in my Range Rover P38.
They do look super bright when looking at them. Driving at night was a nightmare, felt like using a forties 6 V system. And yes they had af fine thread and ring for focus adjustments.
Went for quartz halogen "nightbreakers" best bulbs ever.
That said I am sure there will be even more progress with led lights. But I was very disappointed.

timetraveller

VOC Member
If you have a Walkernator, or something similar, then I recommend the 130/90 watt quarts halogen bulbs. They focus properly and send a beam of light well down the road for safe night riding.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Norman, Wouldn't that fry my Britax twist grip dip switch, it uses a simple over centre spring toggle switch making minimal contact with a brass contact in either position, I will try these Osram night breakers that are 60/55 I think and hope my switch handles that, I have become so used to using this type of dipswitch, I find it a real pain when I ride a different bike and and have to find a fiddly switch every time I want to switch between head and dip.