• For any queries related to registration, engine numbers, frame numbers or buying a Vincent motorcycle, the only Club Officials who have access to all the Factory (Works) Records up to 1954 (including dispatch records) and worldwide ownership details gathered by the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club since 1948 are Simon Dinsdale (Machine Registrar) and Jonathan Lambley (Machine Researcher).

Never rely on Certificates of Authenticity or Dating Certificates issued years ago, nor information provided by sellers. You should always satisfy yourself that you know what you're buying before you bid/buy. Always do your own due diligence.

Simon and Jonathan can be contacted by following THIS LINK.
  • Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

For Sale Lightning Brakes

Albervin

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
There is a set of "Lightning" brakes for sale on e-bay Australia. The problem is the brake drums are non-finned Rapide/Comet drums.

peter holmes

VOC Member
They look quite nice, with little attempt to deceive, clearly not original as the air scoops are cast in, as opposed to bolted on, cast in is probably better, I would have thought that if you want better brakes than standard, then Vincent Speet brakes are definitely the way the go, far better brakes, and with ribbed drums.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I think that the drums are finned. If you look at an enlarged view of the bottom row, second from the left, you can just about see the fins. However the drums are all five hole ones, ok for the front but not 'Black Lightning' enough for the rear. Also there are no pivot pins or cams

stumpy lord

VOC Member
I think that the drums are finned. If you look at an enlarged view of the bottom row, second from the left, you can just about see the fins. However the drums are all five hole ones, ok for the front but not 'Black Lightning' enough for the rear. Also there are no pivot pins or cams
the pins are in the plastic bag

Last edited by a moderator:

davidd

VOC Member
It does look like there are pivot and anchor pins. I suspect the cast in scoops do make the plate stiffer. I would think the other parts would be expected to come from the street brakes. This is Franc Trento's shop.

David

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Chances of them being anything but an aluminum alloy are likely less than .0000000000001%. Still would make a nice set of brakes that look period.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I can't be sure of all the details after all this time but about 40 years ago one of the UK dealers had brake plates which looked similar, or the same, to these cast and machined. They were aluminium and had the cast in air scoops, of that I am sure. Possibly there is someone out there who had, or still has, a set of those which can be compared with the ones in the advert.

vibrac

VOC Member
I can't be sure of all the details after all this time but about 40 years ago one of the UK dealers had brake plates which looked similar, or the same, to these cast and machined. They were aluminium and had the cast in air scoops, of that I am sure. Possibly there is someone out there who had, or still has, a set of those which can be compared with the ones in the advert.
That was Roger Slater what a wonderful arrival they were back then because at the time we were cutting holes in steel plates and riviting on sheet alloy scoops to keep the heat down when racing and they were a great improvement they do look like his.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have a set that look just like that, as far as I can tell, on mine and they must have been on at least 30 years, they were on when I got it and when the previous owner got it and he got it from Chris Williams who hadn't used it for many many years.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
That was Roger Slater what a wonderful arrival they were back then because at the time we were cutting holes in steel plates and riviting on sheet alloy scoops to keep the heat down when racing and they were a great improvement they do look like his.
They would have been, If the hole was in the middle !. Cheers Bill.

Garth Robinson

VOC Member
I bought a set like that from Ted Davis many years ago.They seemed to have been cast in a hole in the back yard. It took weeks of filing to get them to fit,there was no way you could use them without lots of fettling.Strangely,after all that they were much better in use than the steel ones they replaced. I still have them on my B.I was offered a set of Slater plates, but I had read somewhere in MPH that some primitive machining had been done on a drill press so I passed on the offer.

timetraveller

VOC Member
The comments by Bill and Garth above have stirred up my memory. I did recall that there was some problem with these plates but could not remember what it was. Poor machining was probably it. I do remember that at one stage there were lots being offered with not many taker. These days with modern machining facilities it should be relatively easy to re-machine and bush the holes wherever required.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Soon as I saw the fixed scoops, I thought about the Stuck on gauze, Joke !, They fell off and got tangled
with the shoes.
I fitted mine the night before Cadwell, My Mistake !. I overshot the Hairpin, And nearly wound up in the Paddock !. Ron was on the grass Bank, And said, You are going to have brake a bit sooner !.
I was very new to Racing.
Ron welded up some shoes, To make them fully floating, and 2 cams per plate = , 4 leading, Sort of, They were a lot better, But not what I needed, It would have worked better if we had 2 cams and 2 fixed pivots,
But I didn't really know what I was doing, At the time, I didn't know it was just the hole in the middle that was the trouble. Cheers Bill.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Glenn Shriver got a set in the early '80's or so that had a lot of voids in them and got someone to fill them up for filing by Glenn. Maybe from Doug Hollis?

peter holmes

VOC Member
I also had a set of the Ted Davis alloy brake plates, purchased direct from Ted himself at 5 Whitethorn Lane, Letchworth, when I queried with Ted why the brake cam drillings were not bushed he told me it was not necessary, the brake cam hardly moves and as long as it is kept lubricated no bushing was necessary, who was I to argue. a mere mortal, with the ex chief development engineer with Vincent Motorcycles, is/was he correct?

vibrac

VOC Member
I can tell you Bill that they were good compared to the set of Robinson twin leading shoe brakes I bought with my First Egli from Roger Slater, they were a disgrace! I clocked 132 through the speed trap on the proper Norwich Straight at a Bantam meeting and the next week at Snetterton again this time I put on a half fairing and hit the brakes at the same marker end of the straight, the lever came back to the twist grip I finished in the gravel trap up to my knees and the back brake drum cracked in half. I gave the whole sorry assembly to Ron Kemp and it lived under his bench for years he could never sort it either

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Not saying they were all like that, But there were other people who had trouble,
Maybe ?, Quality Control, Which we still suffer from.
Cheers Bill.