BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
lever_shroud.JPG

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
It's not unknown for water to get into a cable and the freeze when it's cold enough. Won't happen to me, I'm strictly a fair weather rider these days. Never heard of it? Ask a Ford Transcontinental driver from the 70s or later. Accelerator operated by cable front of cab. No fun braking with 32 tons up and then finding the accelerator is still flat out in icy weather, and those Transcontis would do well over 70!

Chris.R

VOC Member
Well I tried the £17.75 clutch multiplier and it did make the clutch easier but unfortunately, I was unable to select any gears as the clutch lift is lost. Can you imagine sat on the bike all the gear on waving to the public,
who had arrived to see the depart, then back in the garage like a film playing backwards?
I have since sent for a Venhill frictionless cable 6 inches longer than the club original, routed it past the muff(barrel) to the right-hand side of the bike, up over the top link and to the clutch lever which has a swivelling nipple .Not been out yet but it does seem easier to apply when it stops raining!!! Price approx £45.00 in vat and postage. well pleased.
Seems to answer my question the club cables are far to short 46" plus is what I shall get as quite rightly the cable needs to leave the clutch lever and pass over the top link not through it. Thanks.

Sten Jensen

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Alscomet,
Back in the sixties I had a 600 Panther and a Comet. Both have the BA gearbox and clutch.
The Panther had 3 cork plates and light springs and gave me no trouble al all.
The Comet with its 5 plates and thick springs was always a pain.
Adding more plates will mean less clearance when lifted. A multiplier configured to lower the lever force will do the same. Engaging first gear will get crunchier.
I understand that oiled cork has a higher coefficient of friction than Ferodo.
However I cannot remember whether the oil level in the Panther kept the clutch always wet.
Cork if you can find it might be the way to go.
Regards
Tatty
In the 70-80`es I used cork inserts in my Comet, standard Burman Clutch, standard oil level.
I used the standard plates with cutouts. Cut slices from magnum wine corks, several mm. bigger than the holes and to thick. Put them in boiling water so the became soft like rubber and pushed them into the holes. After drying, I hand ground them on a flat surface with a piece of corse sand paper on until they were flat and the right thickness.
Worked much better than the old oil soaked ferodo.

Sten Jensen

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for all the replies but the clutch with the new Venhill cable is now fine although the original cable was in good condition the longer and frictionless cable is a positive cure for a stiff clutch lever.
Any chance of having the Spares Co. making their cables like that ?
Instead of all of us having to make our own.