C: Clutch Lighter Clutch Control Level Comet

alscomet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I need a lighter clutch lever for my Comet,It is a Burman Clutch,Recently new plates,New clutch cable from Club,Rod is free but the clutch is
getting a bit heavy for my arthritic left hand. I have reduced the spring pressure until I can get it to slip in 4th gear when turning on the power so that's not really desirable
The action is smooth without any hard spots and the cable is free of any bad kinks,assistance please.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
I need a lighter clutch lever for my Comet,It is a Burman Clutch,Recently new plates,New clutch cable from Club,Rod is free but the clutch is
getting a bit heavy for my arthritic left hand. I have reduced the spring pressure until I can get it to slip in 4th gear when turning on the power so that's not really desirable
The action is smooth without any hard spots and the cable is free of any bad kinks,assistance please.
you could try a universal easy pull clutch lighter system -3 settings for leverage ratio adjustment.
code off-clutch 001 cost £17 98

from feked .com classicbike parts

as far as I can tell, they have taken over Sammy millers trials spares company

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
You need a minimum drag clutch cable – if you try stuffing it up out of the way tween tank and UFM you will have a number of bends in it that cause excessive friction. The clutch cable needs to exit the gearbox and cross over to the left side of the bike, a graceful sweep past the muff then a sensuous curve to the right, under the headstem, another curve to the left to the clutch lever – the standard clutch cable is way too short for this – make up your own.

Have a look at this

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Where did you get the swiveling barrel end? I can't find it on the Venhill UK or US sites or my other references.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Where did you get the swiveling barrel end? I can't find it on the Venhill UK or US sites or my other references.
Full details of cable construction, including part numbers, can be found in the Oz Vincent Review, edition 46 and can be downloaded from here www.tinyurl.com/ozvinrev . And if your not a OVR subscriber, you may subscribe at the site as well and for free!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have the same problem with hands, I found with a new Nylon cable from the works was better, And as
Martyn says , A nice long sweep with the cable.
The trouble with a shorter lever, I would think you won't have as much lift ?, A lot of people have drag with the Comet Clutch, But mine is good and standard.
We did a Comet in 2015 and the new works plates were a lot thicker than the old ones were made, I think we had to leave one out ?.
Trouble with leaving the springs too loose, I did the same and found a few undid a bit in time !.
I know It's a problem to keep riding with these hands, But keep on we must :) . Cheers Bill.

erik

VOC Member
Using ATF in the Primary case is possible to let the clutch bite better.this is because in automatic car gearboxes are several clutches and brake linings.So you can lower the Tension of the clutch springs.And where the clutch Lever on the handlebar rotates ,you can move this Point of Rotation to make the load arm shorter in relation to the power arm of the Lever.Erik

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Using ATF in the Primary case is possible to let the clutch bite better.this is because in automatic car gearboxes are several clutches and brake linings.So you can lower the Tension of the clutch springs.And where the clutch Lever on the handlebar rotates ,you can move this Point of Rotation to make the load arm shorter in relation to the power arm of the Lever.Erik
I contacted EBC - the clutch plate makers - about the problem I had with the Honda clutch fitted to my Comet that was 'sticking' causing very noisy gear changes.

They replied that ATF was not suitable for use in conventional clutches as after it has been thru a few heat cycles it form a gum that sticks the plates together. Their advise was to replace the ATF contaminated plates with new ones then use NOTHING other than a specific transmission oil such as Motol TransOil.

Since I made the switch, no more clutch issues.