C: Clutch Lighter Clutch Control Level Comet

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In my Norton Commando I use ATF since more than 20 years, no Problem.Never found sticky liquide in the Primary case.It is a mythos like oil and ptfe or nyloc cables.both works fine together.

alscomet

VOC Member
I purchased one of the Feked clutch multiplyers from the internet I haven't fitted it yet as I need to shorten my clutch outer cable to make it fit but its worth a try.If it works I can then make up new cables to position the unit in a more desirable place .

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
Alscomet,
Back in the sixties I had a 600 Panther and a Comet. Both have the BA gearbox and clutch.
The Panther had 3 cork plates and light springs and gave me no trouble al all.
The Comet with its 5 plates and thick springs was always a pain.
Adding more plates will mean less clearance when lifted. A multiplier configured to lower the lever force will do the same. Engaging first gear will get crunchier.
I understand that oiled cork has a higher coefficient of friction than Ferodo.
However I cannot remember whether the oil level in the Panther kept the clutch always wet.
Cork if you can find it might be the way to go.
Regards
Tatty

nkt267

VOC Member
Alscomet,
Back in the sixties I had a 600 Panther and a Comet. Both have the BA gearbox and clutch.
The Panther had 3 cork plates and light springs and gave me no trouble al all.
The Comet with its 5 plates and thick springs was always a pain.
Adding more plates will mean less clearance when lifted. A multiplier configured to lower the lever force will do the same. Engaging first gear will get crunchier.
I understand that oiled cork has a higher coefficient of friction than Ferodo.
However I cannot remember whether the oil level in the Panther kept the clutch always wet.
Cork if you can find it might be the way to go.
Regards
Tatty
The 1930's Sunbeam lot are tending to use the Clutch Cork Carvery.

karl johnson

VOC Member
ive just stripped my burman clutch just for some checks on wear etc ..and the cable was worse for wear.the origional when i first got the bike, i sent off for a new one and cable oiled it...routed it on the outside (the best way) up through the inside of the front tank mount the steering is sweet with no cable movement, but more so the clutch action is lighter than before (quite suprised) so the basics... new cable and oiled the best routing what you can get

alscomet

VOC Member
Well I tried the £17.75 clutch multiplier and it did make the clutch easier but unfortunately, I was unable to select any gears as the clutch lift is lost. Can you imagine sat on the bike all the gear on waving to the public,
who had arrived to see the depart, then back in the garage like a film playing backwards?
I have since sent for a Venhill frictionless cable 6 inches longer than the club original, routed it past the muff(barrel) to the right-hand side of the bike, up over the top link and to the clutch lever which has a swivelling nipple .Not been out yet but it does seem easier to apply when it stops raining!!! Price approx £45.00 in vat and postage. well pleased.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
It must depend on what lever you have, I use an alloy dogleg type, 1. 1/8", Between cable and pivot.
I also have Norton Commando handlebars, like the touring type. My standard nylon lined cable goes from the lever down inside the left hand side of the top link, then inside the Petrol Tank where the front bolt is and down to the gearbox. I am pleased with mine, maybe undo the springs a bit until you get a bit of slip then tighten a bit?

Attachments

• IMG_20190804_083253 (2).jpg
    IMG_20190804_083253 (2).jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
Well I tried the £17.75 clutch multiplier and it did make the clutch easier but unfortunately I was unable to select any gears as clutch lift is lost. Can you imagine sat on the bike all the gear on waving to the public,
who had arrived to see the depart, then back in the garage like a film playing backwards.
I have since sent for a Venhill frictionless cable 6 inches longer than the club original ,routed it past the muff(barrel) to the right hand side of the bike,up over the top link and to the clutch lever which has a swivelling nipple ?.Not been out yet but it does seem easier to apply when it stops raining !!! Price approx £45.00 in vat and postage. well pleased.
Despite all comments to the contrary, oil the nylon lined cable, it makes a tremendous difference. There will be a lot of replies saying this is inadvisable but I have done it many times with no problems.