Lifting handle and RFM Fixing

VincenttwinPL1

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Dear All,

Right hand or offside fixing in the RFM for the lifting handle and rear gaurd stay is drilled and tapped and suits the clearance holes in the handle and stays......fine.
Left hand or nearside fixing in the RFM has a much smaller hole and is not threaded. The holes do not look as if they have been tampered with, it all looks standard and original, but the holes drilled in the stay and handle and not smaller to suit.
I have several original lifting handles and gaurd stays and they all have the same size of hole drilled in them.
The parts list suggests a different bolt on the left to that on the right???? Does anyone know why?

I`m hoping someone might have some answers?

Paul

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Paul,I 'm not sure what you are trying describe but the difference in part numbers can be explained thus: FT203(r/h/s) is drilled and tapped 2BA to provide a fixing for the stop light switch whereas 840 (l/h/s) is a 3/8"x 5/8" BSF setscrew.
Early RFM's are different; the sloping tubes are bolted to the forkend lug with a 5/16" BSF setscrew and nut, later ones use a 3/8" BSF setscrew screwed into a tapped tread in the forkend-Clear as mud ain't it!

VincenttwinPL1

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Len, thanks for the info! The RFM clearly should have 3/8" BSF threads on both sides. Mine has on the right side but a much smaller hole on the left hand side! I can sort that out. I forgot about the stop light switch fixings ie different part numbers for the two bolts. Thanks for the fast response!!

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Paul,I 'm not sure what you are trying describe but the difference in part numbers can be explained thus: FT203(r/h/s) is drilled and tapped 2BA to provide a fixing for the stop light switch whereas 840 (l/h/s) is a 3/8"x 5/8" BSF setscrew.
Early RFM's are different; the sloping tubes are bolted to the forkend lug with a 5/16" BSF setscrew and nut, later ones use a 3/8" BSF setscrew screwed into a tapped tread in the forkend-Clear as mud ain't it!
I came up against this when I purchased an early Series B RFM that had had a replacement RH fork end lug. In the end I decided to make both sides the same for the sake of symmetry. Maybe Paul's RFM has had some repair work done on it by a previous owner?