lifter cams-stellite blobs?

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Bob,

I think the big issue is the cam follower itself. Gary Robinson stopped doing used cam followers because owners were sending him worn out followers. I think if you send him new followers he will stellite them. Others on the Forum may know for sure.

David

I sent 6 followers to Gary Robinson a few years ago for stelliting and re-facing. He sent 3 back, not done, and a note saying that the pushrod holes were worn so deep as to be in serious likelihood of complete failure. Apparently he has a simple little gauge to check this. I was more than happy to accept his advice and avoid an expensive timing-case explosion.

Now, I wonder where all the similarly afflicted followers go? Ebay?

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Last edited:

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
It was said that the case hardening depth on original followers was only 30 to 35 thou deep . It is worthwhile to remove a bit of the tips length and nicely slope it's upper nose , look at the lobe track on it to observe the needed length and stay forward of that .
I do polish lightly on the highly stressed underside forward of the pivot bore and over the upper surface . Eased its upper sharp edges too . The rockers also are lightened and polished , especially over the end portions , around the adjustor bore .
Did this first on my fast street bike in the 50s , later on the drag bike . Never had one fail or create contact problems . Done also now on Lola and Tina . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Should anyone want to see how rocker arms are lightened and polished for use in a tuned motor I shot A photo of the set done for Lola our twin . Just the way I did them in my drag bike . These also show my bushed mod and work on a stationary pin for much less recip .mass and higher revs . Sid .

D

Deleted member 1085

When I learn something of interest re the Horner rod failure I'll pass it along . When last we spoke he hadent yet stripped the motor . Busy man . Sid .
Sid, is this connected with your post No 40 in the Forum thread?

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Was concerning the Irving Vincent thrown rod in recent Phillips Island race Keith . Not done a Strip down yet . Sid .

D

Deleted member 1085

Was concerning the Irving Vincent thrown rod in recent Phillips Island race Keith . Not done a Strip down yet . Sid .

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Big Sid
When I learn something of interest re the Horner rod failure I'll pass it along . When last we spoke he hadent yet stripped the motor . Busy man . Sid .

My question was "Sid, is this connected with your post No 40 in the Forum thread?"