Lifeboat Engine

Tnecniv Edipar

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I can't recall seeing an internal arrangement drawing , but , about a year or 2 ago one of these was actually sold on ebay and I saved all the pictures as it was sold in a dismantled condition !! The pix are on another computer though so I will have to dig them out. Wish I'd had the $$$ to buy it , think it fetched about £2-3000.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Ta da ! Found them !!

a233_3.jpg

a40a_3.jpg

a592_3.jpg

a911_3.jpg

more to follow due to limit on pix per post.

Peter Stokes

VOC Member
Most interesting pictures!

It is a good puzzle if you have never seen one before, and the numbers of bits doesn't seem to add up - were there some spares included? Is it an opposed piston (ie two cranks and no heads) two cylinder two stroke?

Look forward to more info.

Pete

clevtrev

VOC Member
Most interesting pictures!

It is a good puzzle if you have never seen one before, and the numbers of bits doesn't seem to add up - were there some spares included? Is it an opposed piston (ie two cranks and no heads) two cylinder two stroke?

Look forward to more info.

Pete
Short answer ...... yes.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Just found a good description of the working configuration :-

500cc twin cylinder two stroke. 2 four bearing cranks , opposed piston working cylinders , 2 further charging cylinders , so 6 pistons in all !! Centre 2 are the charging cylinders. The port timing was variable by changing the relative angle of the cranks , clever or what ??!! This allowed performance and / or fuel consumption to be optimised as required. Triple pumps , oil , water and bilge. Amal marine carb. Engine was rated at 15 bhp continuous. Reverse gear and electric start were included.

I would so love to have one of these !! How cool would it be to install one into a bike !!

Peter Stokes

VOC Member
It would make some interesting noises too. I think blown two strokes need a 'free' exhaust for good scavenging.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
life boat

Typical Vincent- the answer to several engineering problems that did not really need attention. Whose life was to be saved? The airman or the failing company?

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Thats a very harsh view ,weren't Vincent competing for a Ministry tender ? Fuel efficiency and light weight were the principle goals and this was more than achieved.