License plate

Paul Woelbing

New Forum User
VOC Member
I'm in the US and came across this listing. I don't know if it might be of interest to anybody but there's a license plate listed as being from a Vincent.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Not got any record of registration FBO 782 in the Vincent Machine database.
FBO is a registration issued by Cardiff council in 1950.

Simon

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
After some enquiries I found out that FBO 782 is a series C Rapide and the bike still exists in UK. So how the registration plates ended up in Texas I don't know.

Simon

Paul Woelbing

New Forum User
VOC Member
When I noticed the listing I didn’t know if it was correct but I thought if I owned the bike this is the sort of thing I’d be happy to find. Is it puddings to notify the current owner about the auction?

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The world of Vincents is a strange one. A week or so I got an email from one of our Canada based friends with the photograph of the front of a Vincent with the question "did the number plate mean anything to me? Indeed it did. It was the number of the first Vincent I ever owned back in about 1957. I looked out some photographs to ensure that my memory was not failing me and sure enough there was a picture of a fresh faced young chap sat on the bike at my place of work. I sent a copy of the picture to our Canada based friend who then informed me that it was no longer a Shadow but was now a Comet. ??? It turns out that sometime in the intervening 64 years someone has had a massive blow up and destroyed the original Shadow engine. For your amusement I will attach a photo of me on the bike as none of you have ever seen me before.
1610729475675.png

Paul Woelbing

New Forum User
VOC Member
The world of Vincents is a strange one. A week or so I got an email from one of our Canada based friends with the photograph of the front of a Vincent with the question "did the number plate mean anything to me? Indeed it did. It was the number of the first Vincent I ever owned back in about 1957. I looked out some photographs to ensure that my memory was not failing me and sure enough there was a picture of a fresh faced young chap sat on the bike at my place of work. I sent a copy of the picture to our Canada based friend who then informed me that it was no longer a Shadow but was now a Comet. ??? It turns out that sometime in the intervening 64 years someone has had a massive blow up and destroyed the original Shadow engine. For your amusement I will attach a photo of me on the bike as none of you have ever seen me before.
View attachment 39666
How cool is that!

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Norman, what was the registration? It wasn't LDV 854 by any chance?
Simon

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It was LDV 854. Is that in your records?. The chap who communicated was MSVH Y3 but he is not the owner. He had been visiting a friend.