License plate number: OGW 545

Robert E Naess

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Anyone recognise this number from the sixties for '48 Rapide #1385. I purchased this bike in London in May of 1970 with a Steib car and with my girlfriend tucked into the car, we rode to Venice where I worked for several months and then motored around various other countries and back to London.
Bike, less Steib, is still with me in Vermont, USA.

Bob Naess

Vince Farrell

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Anyone recognise this number from the sixties for '48 Rapide #1385. I purchased this bike in London in May of 1970 with a Steib car and with my girlfriend tucked into the car, we rode to Venice where I worked for several months and then motored around various other countries and back to London.
Bike, less Steib, is still with me in Vermont, USA.

Bob Naess

OGW 545 is a number first issued from London in late 1953/early 1954

The bike with engine 1/1385 is from an earlier period.

This would suggest your engine and frame come from two different machines.

If you supply Machine Registrar Simon Dinsdale with UFM, RFM, engine and C/C details I’m sure he will be able to supply you with more history.

Vince Farrell

Robert E Naess

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for the info Vince. OGW545 appears to be from a different bike then. I found the plate amongst parts and assumed it was for the '48 Rap. I listed the number of the Rap incorrectly. It is # 1/1389, and frame and engine numbers are correct. I own '54 Shadow 1B/10397 but the plate did not come with that bik as I recall. Sounds like the plate is appropriate for the '54 though........
I'll get the number info to Mr Dinsdale and see what shakes out.

Bob Naess

Robert E Naess

Active Forum User
VOC Member
On a whim, I unearthed an old file labelled 'Vincent' and sorting through it, found, to my pleasure, the original registration book for the '48 Rap, 1/1389, and the plate number is KLH217. The MOT paper disc is inside it with a June '70 date and my name is entered under the 5th Change. I wrote in the address: 178 Brownhill Rd, Catford, London SE6. Maybe that was where I was staying at the time, but I don't recognise it. I had been in London for only a week or so.
Original registrant was: Charles R. Johnson, January 15, 1949
Owner previous to me: Colin E. Leaver, registered May 9, 1969
My registration as the sixth owner, May 15, 1970

Seems like a very long shot that anyone might have any info to add to the above, but if so, I would be delighted to know it.

Bob Naess

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Bob

I have just sent you an email. If you can reply via email and not on this forum I have some info, but will require some details from you first.

Simon Dinsdale
VOC Machine Registrar

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
178 Brownhill Road was Catford, SE6 - did you buy it from Deeprose Bros.? They were in Brownhill road.

Robert E Naess

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ian: yes, I did, and was hoping that I had used their address on the reg since I did not reside in England and further hoped someone might recognize it here. I have not been able to remember for many years from what outfit I bought the rig! Thanks so much for posting this info! The fellows in the shop, who were curious about this yank buying the rig, all fell silent when I said that I didn't want it crated up and shipped to the US because my girlfriend and I were headed off for a ride to Italy for a few months. I recall several people shaking their heads.
Shortly after leaving Deeprose and very carefully focusing on driving on the opposite side of the road, I was stopped for a moment to calm down, and a fellow walked over to me, inquired briefly about the bike, and offered his name and phone number in case I needed any spares. He also suggested I join the VOC. Now, that is Vincent courtesy! I did join the VOC and found my first receipt for dues with the reg. I joined in the fall of 1970 after returning to the US, having had the bike shipped stateside.
Thanks again Ian.
I have posted bike pics to simon.

Bob Naess