Levis 27 1939 TT Race Bike

Speedtwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A friend has come upon a Levis 6 port two stroke race bike from the 30s.
All complete and original looks like it will fire up.
Before I start it up for him any Levis experts out there?
Al

Albervin

VOC Member
WOW> That need some serious deep investigation. Crankcase seals, piston rings and so much more. A Levis 6 port is rare.
Take no short cuts and sell it to me!! :)

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Been through the seals rings etc all good.
Need to figure out the fueling and oiling it has two delivery pipes straight to the lower crankcase I have worked on many two stroke racing bikes over the years this one has me stumped need some knowledge transfer from an old hand.
Al

Albervin

VOC Member
So let me get this. Direct oil injection to the crankcase ? Just like the early Scotts, DKWs and Puchs? Crank driven oil pump direct from a tank to the big end? Yes? Usually a 50W low carbon 2 stroke oil today but a general 2 Stroke at 25:1 will do.I would also add a bit o oil to the fuel .

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Looks very like it yes.
I had thought of adding oil directly to the fuel also.
The last owner is long gone to the TT in the sky.
So we have no references at all.
The bike is as it left him all present and correct ready to race.
Will get some pictures.
It is so good last thing I want to do is start it up and cause some damage from ignorance..
Al

Chris.R

VOC Member
A friend has come upon a Levis 6 port two stroke race bike from the 30s.
All complete and original looks like it will fire up.
Before I start it up for him any Levis experts out there?
Al
I have not heard from him for some time but a friend down in Ashford Kent in his 80s said to me that his most reliable machine was his 1925 Levis, Dave Saunders had a fine collection of motorcycles in his shed mostly vintage machines.
Chris

vibrac

VOC Member
My Scott experience says silkolene oil and same at 60:1 in the petrol
mind you I fitted a variable posilube pump from a suzuki the old gear pump are not so reliable

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Went with 35 to one in the fuel used classic fuel plenty of lead non of that ethanol.
50w classic two stroke in the oil department.
Starts easy runs like a rocket the smoke plume was seen from international space station and we have had a letter of complaint from Greenpeace.
All is well.
The bike has two little leather bags fitted we emptied them and found inside complete set of touring spares tools and same ts oil as we used.
Owner passed away four years ago but was a regular on the Levis rally runs.
History of the bike it was raced in the mid twenties and completed the TT and the Ulster.
Still in same trim today a mini Brough capable of speeds approaching 50 mph.