left hand kickstart

raygray

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi after over 30 years off kickstating my twin my right hip has been replaced and i do not want to risk the new one.
Many years ago i heard of a lefthand kick start lever and shaft supplied by the factory for continental sidecarists, has any one knollage of these.
The tunnel is in the cases for the shaft pluged at primary case end.
The alternatives are sell the bike, or fit an electric leg and 12 volts.
I fitted an Alton some years ago and am yet to get it working reliably.

Don Morris

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I reckon your best bet would be to fit an electric starter, although costly finding and buying a left hand kickstart and shaft would not be cheap.

As you say you have been kicking for 30 years it won't be long before you will have difficulities with your left leg.:)

I have ridden a solo twin with twin open pipes on the right which made a left kickstart necessary. At first use it was strange but it became quite easy with time. I was in my early twenties though.

captain vincent

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
It is just as easy if not easier to use your left leg while standing off the bike parrallel to it.I use this method all the time and been a bit of a short **** you are guarenteed a full swing which is essential for a twin.I adopted this method after a bad smash 10yrs ago,but have made a full recovery and would not start my twins any other way (8.5/1 comp) no problem at all.

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Left side kickstart

I bought a Francois Grosset electric starter kit for the same reason: my right hip was beginning to hurt. I've never regretted it. I could probably have fitted it in a morning, but in fact did it piecemeal as part of a comprehensive rebuild which included conversion to 12 volt coil ignition. The bike starts instantly. I retain use of the kickstart. It's probably advantageous if the bike is a good starter already, although from observation there are many Vincents that start with a great deal less effort than I seem to need.
The recommended (big, Yuasa) battery fits the tray, needing only a longer anchor piece FT132, supplied.
There is also, for me, a significant safety bonus: if i do stall in traffic, I can start instantly. I don't have to stop, put it on the (Bob Hills) stand - that hip again - find compression........meantime hoping some SoB doesn't run into me. Putting it on to the rear stand doesn't bear thinking about.

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi after over 30 years off kickstating my twin my right hip has been replaced and i do not want to risk the new one.
Many years ago i heard of a lefthand kick start lever and shaft supplied by the factory for continental sidecarists, has any one knollage of these.
The tunnel is in the cases for the shaft pluged at primary case end.
The alternatives are sell the bike, or fit an electric leg and 12 volts.
I fitted an Alton some years ago and am yet to get it working reliably.
Barry Bligh, Overlander Products in Aus, had some years ago.