LED Fluorescent Lights for Garage

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Regarding domestic type LEDs I have found that you have to buy them from reputable source. Ones I have had from Lidl have failed very quickly and I am a fan of Lidl so not getting at them.

oilyrag

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Update to my problems with lights. The LED is very poor over the lathe. In fact I have had to move a lamp from the workbench across to the lathe area. The light is not bright enough for detailed work with old eyes. Not sure what to do to solve this long term but I'm very disappointed.

timetraveller

VOC Member
How long ago did you buy the light? Things are moving rapidly with LEDs. I bought LED work lights on stands about four to five years ago and was disapointed. I have bought one more recently and it is very good. I was out last night on country roads and just as I was turning into my road something on the other side of the road blinded me with its lights There were two lights at different heights and one was like a search light . I thought it must be a tractor. It was two people on pedal cycles!

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes somebody wants to tread down hard on push bike lights. face it, dipped beams have been compulsory on motorcycles from WWII. (and before?)
Of course .gov is run by bureaucrats, people who have never really lived in rural areas, and think the Victorian push bike is just the thing for transport in 2022, so nothing will be done, and they will continue to force advertisers of everything from vegetarian 'meat' to washing powder to show pushbikes in TV adverts (nudge nudge)

delboy

VOC Member
Hi Folks,
I have replaced all my 5ft [1500mm] flourescent tubes with LED T8 tubes.
It's done away with dying starters and tubes and given me [at the very least] the same light, instant starting, so far, better life, and significantly cheaper to run. Albeit, they are a bit more expensive to buy and I've had to slightly simplify the wiring in the fitting.
Well satisfied.
Delboy.

Tracey Tilley

VOC Member
How long ago did you buy the light? Things are moving rapidly with LEDs. I bought LED work lights on stands about four to five years ago and was disapointed. I have bought one more recently and it is very good. I was out last night on country roads and just as I was turning into my road something on the other side of the road blinded me with its lights There were two lights at different heights and one was like a search light . I thought it must be a tractor. It was two people on pedal cycles!
They were bought a few weeks ago. Perhaps I need to add another at a different angle so I'm not in my own shadow. I do appreciate the energy saving qualities. It's just a learning curve with new technology.

flxible

VOC Member
Update to my problems with lights. The LED is very poor over the lathe. In fact I have had to move a lamp from the workbench across to the lathe area. The light is not bright enough for detailed work with old eyes. Not sure what to do to solve this long term but I'm very disappointed.
Like incandescent lights, LED lights must be chosen for the job they are being asked to do; one size does not fit all.
There is a quite a variety available these days, and as TT suggested, the offerings seems to be improving with time.
There are good lights available, but there is also junk; after getting burned a few years back I try to only buy from sources that allow returns, as the light quality when tested in the retail shop can differ dramatically from what it looks like back at home in the workshop.
And of course after that is the wild card of finding out what kind of longevity the fixture actually delivers.
But thus far I've been well satisfied. (#22 above)
Best-
George

Bob.theblockie

Forum User
VOC Member
When I bought my lathe, I had my son-an electrician-install a twin tube fluorescent light, which I obtained from a recycle centre, above it. A few years ago, I replaced the 1200mm tubes with LEDs and there is more than enough light. A mate saw my setup & got my son to do the same for him.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
I’ve fitted 3 from Toolstation as recommended by Graham in post 6. (Except I’ve opted for 5’ not 6’) they’re very bright and pleasant to work under. Next job is to fit an LED panel as recommended by Trev over the workbench.
3BA24912-BA91-4D06-BE14-6C5A53830737.jpeg