Leaking ewarts petrol taps

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Drained the tank of petrol for a couple of months for some work on the carbs. now all back together but the taps are leaking out of the plunger. Seems the cork seal is no longer effective.

Any advice what to do would be most welcome as I am trying the get the bike ready for the anual rally,

regs
Rob

clevtrev

VOC Member
Ok thanks, how long for?

Boil them up for ten minutes or so, and leave them to soak overnight. Should be said that you will need to put a weight on them to keep them submerged, that whilst boiling them up, as well.
If you have some vaseline, smear some on before replacing.

Rob H

VOC Member
Will do, hopefully will get up and running tomorrow.
Can't see how the corks can be removed off the plunger, presume it is ok to put it all in

John Appleton

VOC Member
Hi Rob, if you dont hurry up and buy an annual rally ticket, the taps wont matter.
icon7.gif
icon7.gif

John
(yes, I am trying to drum up business, all in the nicest possible way)

clevtrev

VOC Member
Will do, hopefully will get up and running tomorrow.
Can't see how the corks can be removed off the plunger, presume it is ok to put it all in

Grab hold of the cork and the brass end, and unscrew !
You will not expand the cork with the load on.

Just thought, if you do not know how to dismantle, you do not know how to compress, this might be all you need to make them work again.

Last edited:

Rob H

VOC Member
Hi John,

Hopefully will make it as I live just up the road, but depends on work

Rob H

VOC Member
Grab hold of the cork and the brass end, and unscrew !
You will not expand the cork with the load on.

Just thought, if you do not know how to dismantle, you do not know how to compress, this might be all you need to make them work again.

Tried to unscrew by gripping both ends lightly with grips, seems to turn but not unscrew, had them in water a while, corks seem to have swollen so will try them in again tomorrow and let you know if any success