Leaking ewarts petrol taps

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I don't have any that screw. A suitable fine pin punch, a vice with copper jaws & a little hammer. All the corks were beyond salvation so I used this "petrol resistant" sheeting that I cut petrol cap seals from.
It is about 3/16" thick & I use the appropriate hole punches to re-line the taps with 2 "doughnuts". Works for me. I use the same material to replace the gaskets in my Enots taps as well.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Hello Rob,
Not all tap inserts unscrew, some are rivited.
Regards John.

John is quite right of course but why anyone should persevere with the old cork plunger fuel taps baffles me. Mini Ball valves available from most plumbing stores are the complete answer. They don't leak or seize or cost very much.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
For ball valve fuel taps try:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/23550/Plumbing/Gas-Fittings/Mini-Lever-Ball-Valve-8mm

They state 8mm, but's that the od of the pipe that fits to the fittings that come with it. Remove the nuts and olive and you will find the body it threaded 1/4 BSP. I removed the filters off the old taps and glued them into the new tap's shouldered end with araldite rapide which I have found to be fuel proof when cured (can be used as an emergency repair to fuel tank leaks). The taps then screw straight into the tank using your favourite sealing washer / method. The standard Vincent fuel pipe and fitting connect directly to the other end.
You may need to prise off the yellow cover to remove the lever (held on with a screw under the cover) to swap it round 180 degrees so it points down and not up when the fuel tap is open. I left the yellow covers off, or you could paint them black.

If you use carbs with filters built into them, then you could risk not fitting filters to the taps, or fit inline filters.

The taps are small, designed for fuels, no adaptors needed, easy to use, cheaper than the standard type fuel taps, chrome plated and do not leak.:cool:

For a photo of one fitted got to Photos - Misc - Misc 2010 - modifications, or if the link works:
http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6422&title=img-1277&cat=767

Cheers,
Simon.

Last edited:

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Yep, early taps were threaded and could be tightened,these had a small screwdriver slot in them-visible in the centre of the plunger.Later taps were just peened over and can work loose if you punch out the centre rod to replace the cork.There is an American chap doing a neat looking fix; look under Vincent in motorcycle parts (I think) on ebay usa.Boiling water might work -so might olive oil,as long as you don't upset Popeye.

Rob H

VOC Member
In the end I used raw linsead oil which I understand to be a better solution than water

Vinthou

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I purchased a mod for these taps from a guy in California that replaces the plunger with one that utilises 'O' rings. They are not installed yet as my tank is still at the painter's, so can't yet comment on how good they are, but they sure look like they will work well. They are available ay www.ebay.com under "Motorcycle Parts" then search under "Vincent".