Le Mans Classic 2008

PaulB

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I drove over to France last week in the Cobra for the bi-annual Le Mans Classic. We got very wet on the run down because it rained heavily all the way and we had no roof. :) But the sun came out once we got there and stayed dry and sunny for the rest of the long weekend.
The classic race cars were superb, but there was also a very good display of classic bikes with a fair few Vincents. Patrick Godet also had a display there with half a dozen or so of his beautifully built Egli-Vincents.
The French gate attendant to our campsite rode in every day on a what I assume was a Series B Comet i.e. a Comet with Brampton forks.
I've posted a few pictures in my photo gallery.
If I could work out how to post them into the thread, I'd put them here. :confused:

Paul

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Nice Cobra. What are some details on its engine? I notice it is left hand drive. I don't think it is too involved to swap it, have you considered that?

Last edited:

PaulB

VOC Member
Nice Cobra. What are some details on its engine? I notice it is left hand drive. I don't think it is too involved to swap it, have you considered that?

The engine is a 427 Side Oiler. 7 litre developing around 520bhp.
As for converting to RHD, no thank you. I've gone to a lot of trouble to retain original features and as all 427 Cobras were made LHD, that's just the way it's going to stay. :D

Paul

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Sounds good, I didn't realize none of the 427s were RHD.

One of the top Vincent restorers here in LA worked for Shelby, as well as Gurney, Steve McQueen, and I think McLaren as well. He was over in Europe for the filming of Le Mans. And another So Cal member was the long time owner of a USRRC Cobra, and now owns a few other Cobras.

One of these days, I hope to get a CSX 4000 series.

Last edited:

PaulB

VOC Member
A few 427s were subsequently converted to RHD, but they were all originally built as left hookers.
Good luck with the CSX4000. :) Whilst I'm a huge fan of Cobras, I'm not much of a Shelby (the man) fan. So I don't think I would want to further line his pockets.:rolleyes:
How about a Kirkham?

Paul